A question about RAM

Reaction score
Hey all -

I have what might be a stupid question, so please bare with me. I am running a Mid 2011 imac with 4GB of ram and using ML. Based on the Activity Monitor, and with out running any applications I only have 2.47GB of ram free. Lets say I open Safari, it takes 262mb of ram and I am down to 2.2Gb of ram. When I close out of Safari, I never get all the Ram back. Should I be worried?

Thanks,
Hwilensky

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You shouldn't be worried.:)

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
On some websites is it normal for Safari to take up half a gig of ram? Only reason I am asking is because recently I noticed that pageouts have exceeded my page ins, and this never happened before. I am not running anything out of the ordinary. Just mail, calendar, safari, and every now and then tweet deck. I wanted to make sure that there is no issue.

Thanks,
Hwilensky

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Only reason I am asking is because recently I noticed that pageouts have exceeded my page ins, and this never happened before.

It happens. If you want the page-outs to go back to zero…you need to reboot the computer more often. If you upgrade your ram…page-outs will also be less of an issue. But even with more ram…page-outs will increase…so rebooting occasionally is necessary.

This is not a problem…just the way it is.;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.