macbook air good for guild wars 2?

Reaction score
been wanting a mac for a while, but i am a gamer so never was many games that i liked for mac.

but now gw2 has a mac client and the reqs are
Guild Wars 2 Beta requires Lion, an Intel Core i5 or better, 4GB or more of RAM, and an NVIDIA® GeForce® 320M, ATI Radeon™ HD 6630M, Intel HD 3000 or better.
The Mac beta version of Guild Wars 2 runs well on the below machines or better. Your results may vary if you’ve upgraded or changed your Mac hardware or are running on lower hardware specifications.

iMac 21.5", 27" (Mid-2010)
iMac 21.5", 27" (Mid-2011)
MacBook Pro 15", 17" (Mid-2010)
MacBook Pro 13", 15", 17" (Early and Late-2011)
MacBook Pro 13", 15", 17 (Mid-2012)
Mac Mini (Mid-2011)

and the mac i was looking at is

Originally released July 2011
11.6-inch (diagonal) high-resolution LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory
128GB flash storage
Thunderbolt port with support for up to 2560-by-1600 resolution
FaceTime camera
Intel HD Graphics 3000

so it seems to pass the hardware reqs, but i wonder if i will get screwed some other way.

also how is the 11" air? because i used a 11" netbook once and it looked awful and you can barely see anything like the icons...

so how is it on the macbook air? and if its bad, can i lower the resolution to see things better?

what do you think?

thanks

OP
Sento
Reaction score
been looking at some macbook pros on ebay, got a question,

1. if i buy one with OSX and windows 7 via bootcamp, can i nuke the Harddrive and install OSX fresh?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, as long as you get the original disks with the machine if it has Snow Leopard or earlier on it. If it has Lion or Mountain Lion, you will need your own copy purchased from the Mac App store in order to install fresh. And in order to access the Mac App store you must be running at least Snow Leopard 10.6.6.

OP
Sento
Reaction score
Yes, as long as you get the original disks with the machine if it has Snow Leopard or earlier on it. If it has Lion or Mountain Lion, you will need your own copy purchased from the Mac App store in order to install fresh. And in order to access the Mac App store you must be running at least Snow Leopard 10.6.6.

cool so if the mac has windows with bootcamp and i upgrade to snowleopard, then download mountain lion, how can i do mountain lion as a clean install? (meaning removing windows, bootcamp, everything and installing mountain lion like its brand new)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You would boot the machine from its recovery partition (assuming it has Lion on it) and erase the hard drive. Then while hooked up to a good internet connection, download and install Mountain Lion fresh.

You will also need to remove the Boot Camp partition first. You do that by using the Boot Camp assistant from OS X. Post back to this same thread when you're ready to do everything, and we can go over the details.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.