macbook air - mail problem

Reaction score
my macbook air deletes folder contents. It stared by deleting sent folder, now it has deleted the inbox !

I've checked all the settings - all are "never delete".

Where next ?

M

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We need more information. Your Mac can not arbitrarily delete folders without something else going on. To start with.... who is your email provider (ISP)? Also tell us which MBA you have and version of OS X it's running?

OP
M
Reaction score
macbook air mail problem

Hi, the laptop is not with me at the moment, so I can't tell the OS (?Lion, I think)

It's not deleting folders, it's deleting the contents of the folders.
ISP is BTinternet.

As far as I can tell, on a two week cycle, it's deleting all Emails except the current day.
Sometimes it's the sent box, the latest is the Inbox.
The problem is only recent - 4 months OK, last 2 or 3 months..... KO

There are two accounts on the laptop. One has this problem, the other not !
I can't find any difference between the settings of the two accounts.
I've gone into settings and the delete instructions are "never delete", including on the server.
Going onto the webmail shows that the mails have gone off the server.

Next thing is to ring BT helpline !!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Next thing is to ring BT helpline !!

You're doing everything correct as far as I can tell. I would certainly give BT a call and find out if something else is going on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,
Going onto the webmail shows that the mails have gone off the server.

Not saying yours is the same issue, but a friend in the UK had a similar problem about a month ago, re disappearing mail from server. Turned out to be BT issue. Will just add that she was in the throws of ditching BT and moving to another ISP.

C

chas_m

Not to be "that guy" (okay, yes I'm being "that guy"), but it's "throes."

Homonyms trip everyone up sometimes, myself included. Just thought you'd want to know for future reference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Macbook Air, both with Lion and MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard. iPad, iPhone, iPod touch
mail problem

The only problem re phoning BT is that they are not very good with Apple as they clearly prefer PCs.

C

chas_m

Bottom line: barring some technical malfeasance on the provider's part, this sound like a classic case of POP mail being used like IMAP with the predictable end result.

The "real" solution to the problem is this: if you're going to stick with a POP-based account, pick a single device to manage your mail and DON'T use other devices.

Otherwise, switch (or forward your POP mail) to an IMAP-based account (iCloud, Yahoo, Google etc) and the problem will resolve itself. IMAP means you can manage mail seamlessly on multiple devices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.