windows7 on mac problem

Reaction score
error message when trying to open windows7 via vmwarefusion.;
Unable to open file "/Users/geraldw/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows 7.vmwarevm/Windows 7-000016.vmdk": The system cannot find the file specified.

i've completely uninstalled vmaware fusion. and would like to install a new copy of windows7 plus my vmware fusion3.0 that I have on a disk. I wonder if windows7 is still buried in my mac hard drive somewhere, ( I can see some windows files on my mac but they appear a gray and can not open) and if there could be a problem installing a new copy of windows? It seems to do so wouldn't be a clean install. I also wonder if the Apple Store would be able to rectify this, or if I could fix it myself? I'm a relatively new mac user and long time PC user, but a computer geniusI am not. I don't want to have to reformat the whole mac machine and lose my current files, etc.

Thanks, for any help

Jerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
An virtual machine install is self contained and won't affect your Mac or other VM installs.

As you can see from the path you've posted above, that's where Fusion expects to find Virtual Machine files. Go to /Users/geraldw/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized and delete anything you find there.
Now re-install Fusion and Choose to create a new VM. Now simply follow the install assistant instructions to install a new Windows 7 VM.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for you reply. I already tried your suggestion and that file is doesn't show up at all. Could that mean that window 7 is completly gone from my harddrive?

i've completely uninstalled vmaware fusion. and would like to install a new copy of windows7 plus my vmware fusion3.0 that I have on a disk. I wonder if windows7 is still buried in my mac hard drive somewhere, ( I can see some windows files on my mac but they appear a gray and can not open) and if there could be a problem installing a new copy of windows? It seems to do so wouldn't be a clean install. I also wonder if the Apple Store would be able to rectify this, or if I could fix it myself? I'm a relatively new mac user and long time PC user, but a computer genious I am not. I don't want to have to reformat the whole mac machine and lose my current files, etc.

Thanks, for any help

Jerry
error message when trying to open windows7 via vmwarefusion.;
Unable to open file "/Users/geraldw/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows 7.vmwarevm/Windows 7-000016.vmdk": The system cannot find the file specified.

i've completely uninstalled vmaware fusion. and would like to install a new copy of windows7 plus my vmware fusion3.0 that I have on a disk. I wonder if windows7 is still buried in my mac hard drive somewhere, ( I can see some windows files on my mac but they appear a gray and can not open) and if there could be a problem installing a new copy of windows? It seems to do so wouldn't be a clean install. I also wonder if the Apple Store would be able to rectify this, or if I could fix it myself? I'm a relatively new mac user and long time PC user, but a computer genious I am not. I don't want to have to reformat the whole mac machine and lose my current files, etc.

Thanks, for any help

Jerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
As per my post, re-install fusion and start a new VM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.