Desktop PC to Macbook Pro - 2 weeks on

Reaction score
Thought I'd write a little post, just in case there's any PC users wondering about jumping ship....

I bought a MBP (non retina) a couple of weeks ago and have been slowly moving my daily working life (web design) from my Win7 desktop PC to the new Mac. It's been a lot easier than I thought - I can open Word files without any issues, and even browse Excel spreadsheets despite not having Numbers or similar installed yet.

The mass of available apps is great, and I can usually find something cheap to do the job I need, such as only having to spend £1.45 for a decent FTP app, or £10.45 for a (almost) Photoshop replacement.

There's a lot of talk of heat issues, but unless I'm using the Mac in clamshell mode or doing intensive processor hungry work, it runs as cool as a cucumber. In fact it's a LOT cooler than my HP laptop, and it runs almost silent.

Wi-fi and battery are excellent.

The OS takes a bit of getting useful, but overall I love it, and it's much more enjoyable to use than my unstable Win7 machine which picked up yet another trojan this morning.

I've got the base model and so far having only 4gb of RAM hasn't been an issue, though I am planning to install another 4gb at some point. Speed is great and the bog standard glossy screen is lovely.

The only things I don't like so far are: the very strange hidden Save As option and worrying autosave features, and the thing that made me send my previous MBP back to Apple - Mouse Acceleration, though this time I'm learning to live with it, sweetened by the absolutely fabulous trackpad.

So far 9 out of 10 for the MBP, it's been a pleasure, so if you're thinking of jumping ship - do it!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks for the post and glad you are enjoying your Mac. I never regretted making the leap myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I made the jump to a Mac 4 years ago and now it's second nature to me using both Mac and PC all the time.
Add a BootCamp partition and you got the best of both worlds!

OP
F
Reaction score
Might have to install it to Photoshop at some point, but at the moment I'm enjoying a Windows free life!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.