Can I pass my old iPhone on to my wife?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm just awaiting my new iPhone 5. I currently have the iPhone 4.

Is there a legal & moral way whereby my wife can purchase her own mini-SIM and put it in my used iPhone 4? Ideally, we'd like it to be able to sync my with iMac re contacts and iCal. My wife has her own iPod and syncs with my iMac fine so I'm hoping for a similar arrangement with my old iPhone.

If it makes a difference, I live in the UK.

Thank you.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
She should be able to get the Sim by going into the store for her operater, so try that

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Yes, you can do that - totally kosher. If your wife is on a different network then the handset will need to be unlocked. If your phone was out of contract then usually your network provider will do that for you for free. Otherwise there is typically a small charge.

Your wife just needs to ask her service provider for a micro SIM. They may try to sell her a different package; don't take it unless you want it. Your wife will also want a data package unless she already has one. In fact, I would add one to her existing phone before asking for the micro SIM - the service provider will try to force you to take a bigger data package when they find out it is for an iPhone. As ever, only buy what you actually want and don't let them twist your arm.

I gave my wife my 3GS when I got my 4S; she was hooked and now has a 4S of her own :)

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thanks to all of you. Your courtesy is much appreciated.

Ian

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought that you both might like some feedback after all the help you gave me.

I now have the iPhone 5 and my wife has my "old" iPhone 4 with her own number. The whole process has gone without a hitch in just the way you predicted. Loishen and dbm, thank you both once again.

Ian

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Happy to help :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.