Knoppix Won't Work On Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
Hi, so recently I tried booting a Knoppix cd that came with a Unix book I have and after it booted I got a blank prompt instead of the Knoppix desktop. Does anyone know why? I'll try to get some error messages posted on this topic if I find any next time I try it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The bootable Knoppix Live CD is not running Unix, it's running Linux. See the following LINK. Let us know what the error message says. I'm not sure you can get a Knoppix Live CD to boot to its desktop on a Mac. It definitely will boot on a Windows machine though.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The bootable Knoppix Live CD is not running Unix, it's running Linux. See the following LINK. Let us know what the error message says. I'm not sure you can get a Knoppix Live CD to boot to its desktop on a Mac. It definitely will boot on a Windows machine though.

I know it's linux but it came with a Unix book I have. Also, did you mean to say you aren't sure why it won't boot to the desktop or you don't think I can get it to boot to desktop. If you don't think I can boot it to desktop why is that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I said I'm "not sure" it will boot to its desktop on a Mac. I've tried other Linux live CDs previously without much luck (Remember that a Linux boot disk "looks" for a BIOS while your Mac has none.)

Also, you might hit one of the Linux forums (Ubuntu is a good one) and ask there. Not sure if there is a forum for Knoppix.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I said I'm "not sure" it will boot to its desktop on a Mac. I've tried other Linux live CDs previously without much luck (Remember that a Linux boot disk "looks" for a BIOS while your Mac has none.)

Also, you might hit one of the Linux forums (Ubuntu is a good one) and ask there. Not sure if there is a forum for Knoppix.
Ah I do remember problems with Linux and Macs not running BIOS. Ok well that's fine I just wanted to try it out and see if it worked. No biggy.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Books generally have very old versions of Linux distributions so it's very possible that it's just too old. What version of Knoppix is it?

We also need more details. Have you tried to start X manually (startx)? Did that work or did that fail as well?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.