Uflysoft

Reaction score
I lost data that I typed into an Excel spreadsheet and am not sure what happened. I don't know if it was unsaved and lost or if it is in one of the files I have that is corrupted. The information is really important and I don't have the hard copies anymore so I was wondering if anyone would recommend Uflysoft? I have not been able to retrieve the information on my own so far from reading other forums, etc. Do they take screenshots?

C

chas_m

Most of the companies with names like that (Uflysoft, Wondersoft, etc) are in fact Chinese spammers that sell bad (but functional) PC-port software with the intention of obtaining your personal info. I would avoid them like the plague.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I don't know if it was unsaved" -- either you saved the document, or you didn't.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks Chas. Okay, so the document is still there but not updated with the information I typed in. I can't imagine that I didn't save it and I also have AutoSave on to save a version every 10 minutes....yet I can't retrieve what I typed on Friday. The other thing is I have another Excel spreadsheet that won't open and says it "might be modified or corrupted from the original document." It says that it is 0 bytes though....nothing on it!? Is there any way I can retrieve what I typed?? I won't by Uflysoft...Thank you very much for saving me $85.

C

chas_m

The other Excel document you refer to that won't open is most definitely toast, gone, done. Zero bytes means its an empty file.

Are you using Time Machine to backup your Mac? If so, you can just go back to Friday and retrieve an earlier version of the document.

If not, you'll have to hope that MS temp folder (or wherever the Autosave temp files are stored) saved you. I'm not that familiar with where and how MS handles the Autosave files, so maybe a regular Office user can add to what we know so far.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with chas, if you have Time Machine turned on and working that's your best bet. The Microsoft Office Autosave is next to useless as it will not save your Office documents for restoration once you quit Office. To ensure you have a backup copy of any Office document you must turn on "make a backup copy" from the Office preferences, "save" tab.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.