Office

Reaction score
Hi people, just wondering if anyone can help with my conundrum, I use Ms office 2010 at work on the PC but own a Mac Pro. Found out I can get the software through the company and had the choice of either 2010 for windows 7 or 2011 for Mac. My obvious choice was 2011 but the question is can data transfer easily between the 2 operating systems.
I've had a little read and its a mixed bag really, the apple store reckons it can transfer back and forth with ease even though 4 out of 5 customer reviews on there said it was crap, other forums and reviews are 50/50 with some saying its the same setup as windows only certain things are missing.
As Im not a computer guru any advise would be very much appreciated, cheers.x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What do you mainly use, Word, Powerpoint or Excel

OP
D
Reaction score
office

Mainly Excell although down the road I'll imagine I'll be using the other applications

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I use both Office 2010 in Windows and Office 2011 on my Mac. I have had no problem transferring files from the Windows version to the Mac version and vice versa. The Windows version does have more bells and whistles than the Mac version but unless you're in the legal business or working on a dissertation, you should have no problem.

OP
D
Reaction score
office

Thank you brother much appreciated, so whats the Mac version missing? just so I know.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I find it harder to put together long documents in Mac Office 2011 than Office 2010. Page numbering, section numbering, dividing sections, and footnotes - endnotes are somewhat different. (Word)

Powerpoint is almost identical. I have found no differences except maybe an occasional transition or graphic that has to be reworked.

I'm not an Excel user per se, but what I have used, it seems pretty much the same. Other users have complained though about some of the smaller things that are different in Excel.

The biggest thing is getting used to doing things the Mac way from Windows. At first it'll seem like it's very different but once dig in and begin to use the Mac version, you should have no difficulty.

OP
D
Reaction score
Nice one, how about installing windows on mac just for the use of such programs or am I asking for trouble there. I mean the whole reason I converted to mac other than some of its nice features was to get away from windows and its many system errors, virus's etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Retina MBP 2015
I use both Office 2010 in Windows and Office 2011 on my Mac. I have had no problem transferring files from the Windows version to the Mac version and vice versa. The Windows version does have more bells and whistles than the Mac version but unless you're in the legal business or working on a dissertation, you should have no problem.

Hi Chas,

To be clear, are your .docx files from Ofc2010 being recognized in your Ofc2011?

Once I switch, I switched; though :Blushing: I can't say that for all parts of my life.

I have thousands of saved documents in PC/.doc & .docx. All new documents will be created in Ofc2011. Are the Mac 2011's also .doc/.docx or is there another type?

Thanks,

C

chas_m

Office for Mac will read all your .doc or .docx files, and will save in those formats as well. Most other Mac word processors can read and write both formats as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.