Mirrorless Cameras Have Arrived

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 I3, 16Gig Ram, OSX 10.6.8
I've been field testing my new Sony NEX-5N mirrorless camera for a week now. Here's the best portrait I've taken in years, & I used to be a professional portrait photographer. I had my Sony 55-210mm F/4.5-6.3 lens aboard.

Child-In-Cave-XL.jpg

Child-In-Cave-Exif-XL.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
That is like looking at an HD movie or something. Crystal clear and brilliant colors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Technically they've been around for quite some time, but you know that Bob. Olympus had the market well before every Tom **** and Harry got into it, and they continue to do very well in that segment.

Sony however, is doing very well IQ wise with their NEX line, and I'd love to have one except I can't stand the ergonomics and the dumb/unintuitive menu system. If you can get along with those things, more power to ya! Personally, I'm waiting for someone to get it absolutely right before plunking down money. And I have a feeling it won't be too much longer.

Sony ALMOST had it with their new RX-1, full frame mirrorless, except they blew it big time for not including an on board EVF and phase detect auto focus. Ridiculous.. It costs more than any of their other mirrorless cameras, and those include phase detect as well as an evf! ?! Dumb, dumb and dumb.

As for your portrait Bob, it's cracking. Cute subject!

Doug

OP
bobmielke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 I3, 16Gig Ram, OSX 10.6.8
Technically they've been around for quite some time, but you know that Bob. Olympus had the market well before every Tom **** and Harry got into it, and they continue to do very well in that segment.

Sony however, is doing very well IQ wise with their NEX line, and I'd love to have one except I can't stand the ergonomics and the dumb/unintuitive menu system. If you can get along with those things, more power to ya! Personally, I'm waiting for someone to get it absolutely right before plunking down money. And I have a feeling it won't be too much longer.

Sony ALMOST had it with their new RX-1, full frame mirrorless, except they blew it big time for not including an on board EVF and phase detect auto focus. Ridiculous.. It costs more than any of their other mirrorless cameras, and those include phase detect as well as an evf! ?! Dumb, dumb and dumb.

As for your portrait Bob, it's cracking. Cute subject!

Doug

When I chose the title line for this post it was intended as a statement of quality results not as news of anything new. With me owning and using a Nikon D7000 and D800 I know high quality gear. I'm just stating that the capabilities of this small camera amaze me. When I field test any camera, lens or accessory it's not for the faint of heart. I push the limits of the camera to see how it will react to adverse conditions such as bright , contrasty sunlight or low light capabilities. The NEX-5N has laughed at these challenges with really super sharp results.

The initial reviews were, by & large, correct. This camera performs better shooting Jpeg than RAW in low light. I haven't shot is Jpeg in years, preferring to do all my own post processing with the added data in RAW images. The processor in the Sony gets so close to perfect results my workflow is drastically cut.

Will I sell my Nikons and go with just the NEX-5N? **** no! But for someone like me who knows how to get the most out of any camera this is an amazing leap in technology. The camera weighs next to nothing when compared to my D800 with a 24-70mm F/2.8, even with the Sony 55-210mm aboard. I'm kicking around the idea of getting the EVF offered as an accessory. It's $239 price tag is at an acceptable level when you consider what lenses cost. Knowing myself i'll probably have the EVF in a few weeks or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Oh, I know Bob. I was attempting to be as tongue and cheek as you were. I was just trying to state that Olympus cameras have been producing darned fine images IQ wise, also pushing the envelope with low light high ISO for quite some time. Sony definitely took things to the next level, being that the sensor is bigger than the M4/3, and now with their full frame mess.

Quite frankly, I'm a bit shocked that Canon hasn't done anything yet. They've been the king of the compact P&S segment for ages.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Canon has released a mirrorless system. They recently announced the EOS M camera. I haven't looked into it too much but it looks like it works with exsisting EF mount lenses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.