IPhone 5 or IPod?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 MBP 15"
I am in the market for the new ipod touch, however debating if I should just upgrade my android 4G phone to an Iphone 5 and use that as my ipod as well. I really do not want to carry around two different devices. Is there any difference between using the iphone vs. ipod as far as sound output is concerned? What should I do here? Thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
As far as sound output itself there is no difference. But you will find that a iPod touch or Nano will play music for longer while the iPhone used for everything else will work for shorter periods. I did this for a while and the the battery on my old 3G wouldn't hold a charge for long so I got an iPhone 4 and and iPod Nano and that works great. The nano is small and at 16GB I have enough music to last for a few days and I usually go about 3-4 work days before needing to charge it..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Pretty simple choice. One is a phone, the other is not. Both sound the same in my headphones or through my car stereo.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I've got a Nano - somewhere around here. Haven't used it in at least 2 years because my phone does it all.

C

chas_m

I think you've already solved your own problem. "I really don't want to carry around two devices."

Then get an iPhone.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 MBP 15"
battery

Yes, but won't the phone battery drain alot quicker when listening to the music than an Ipods will?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Read my response above..

C

chas_m

In my own experience the iPhone's battery is fine for extended periods of playing music. I don't get a huge number of phone calls, so if I turn the screen off and use my new Earpods' remote to control the music, I find that it can go for DAYS doing this.

Of course if you're using the phone for other things while the music is playing, that will of course drain the battery faster. Just like on an iPod Touch. Dedicated iPods have better battery life no doubt but that's because they don't really do anything but play music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPro13 iPad/Touch/iPhone (several), Time Capsule, Airport Express, Apple TV, iMac 21.5"
You should be able to listen to music for a several hours without worrying about draining your iPhone's battery. If you prefer one device, iPhone is the natural device of choice. If you go with the iPod, well, it's not iPhone and also does not support some apps like What's App. But you can still use Skype for calls on the Touch.

C

chas_m

Yes, apps such as Vonage Mobile and Skype (et al) can enable you to use the iPod Touch as a phone when you are in a Wi-Fi area. There is that.

Not as convenient as an actual phone, but good enough for some people.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.