Changing Finder's View Options with Only the Keboard

Reaction score
Command-J brings up the Finder's View Options, but how do I change any of them without taking my hands off the keyboard and using the mouse?

Thanks.

Regards,
Jim

Reaction score
I don't think you can... One can almost do anything by keystrokes or trackpad gestures, but I don't
think this is one of those things, curious...

SM

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Most of the view options already have keyboard shortcuts - see the View menu.

Reaction score
I believe the OP is only referring to the options available when CMD+J is pressed.
There are some options which are in the drop down menu and correspond with certain keystrokes, but not all of them.

For instance changing the symbol size in finder, or changing the background color of the Finder window.

SM

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
True, not everything is available through keyboard shortcuts. I suppose then I have to ask how often actually change those settings.

OP
J
Reaction score
Every day, when I browse through folders, I want to change the sort options. For example, one minute I want to sort by date modified, then I want to sort by size, and then I want to sort by file type.

How do I do this in the Finder using only the keyboard?

Thanks.

Regards,
Jim

Reaction score
Now, the things you mention in your last post, they can all be set with a keystroke.

^ + ⌥ Option + 2 for instance is sort by type of file.

SM

OP
J
Reaction score
Mac 101: The Finder says: "You can change the sorting from ascending order to descending order and back again by clicking on the attribute column title."

I didn't find in the article anything about a keyboard shortcut to change the sorting from ascending to descending and back again.

Hopefully, somebody reading this thread will know a trick for doing this (perhaps using Quicksilver??)

C

chas_m

If you're going to insist on doing everything using the keyboard, you're going to need to turn on the accessibility options under Universal Access (or Accessibility if you're on Mountain Lion). What you're looking for is "Full Keyboard Access."

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Control+Command+1/2/3/4/5 changes the sort by options.

This is defined here:

00000316.png

Is that what you're after, or am I missing something?

OP
J
Reaction score
Control+Command+1/2/3/4/5 changes the sort by options.
Is that what you're after, or am I missing something?

Not quite. Another commenter pointed out that Control+Option+Command+1, etc. changes the **sort** options. (Not to be confused with the "Arrange by" options.)

What I haven't worked through, yet, is how to toggle between an **ascending** sort and a **descending** sort using only the keyboard.

Somebody else pointed me to the accessibility options, but that hasn't worked out for me yet. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.

(It may seem silly to some, but I really, really prefer using the keyboard for those actions I do multiple times each day.)

J

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not quite. Another commenter pointed out that Control+Option+Command+1, etc. changes the **sort** options. (Not to be confused with the "Arrange by" options.)

What I haven't worked through, yet, is how to toggle between an **ascending** sort and a **descending** sort using only the keyboard.

Gotcha.

Somebody else pointed me to the accessibility options, but that hasn't worked out for me yet. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.

(It may seem silly to some, but I really, really prefer using the keyboard for those actions I do multiple times each day.)

J

Not at all. I'm sure it's possible, we're just missing something.

I run TotalFinder as I like the way it simply grafts functionality onto the existing Finder, rather than replacing it entirely. I'm having a look at the documentation now to see if it offers the option, as I haven't found any option native to Finder itself.

There used to be a commonly used acronym in Mac circles "FTFF", or "Fix The Freakin' Finder"... and I believe that's apt here. Finder has always been a weak file manager at best and is one of those Mac eccentricities that conflicts with Apple's dubious claim of "The World's Most Advanced Operating System".

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nada for TotalFinder... if there's a way to do it through Finder natively, I just don't see it.

OP
J
Reaction score
I run TotalFinder as I like the way it simply grafts functionality onto the existing Finder, rather than replacing it entirely. I'm having a look at the documentation now to see if it offers the option, as I haven't found any option native to Finder itself.

There used to be a commonly used acronym in Mac circles "FTFF", or "Fix The Freakin' Finder"... and I believe that's apt here. Finder has always been a weak file manager at best and is one of those Mac eccentricities that conflicts with Apple's dubious claim of "The World's Most Advanced Operating System".

TotalFinder sounds interesting. I'll hold off buying it, though, until I squeeze all the functionality I can out of the Finder.

Yeah, Apple's triumphalist tendencies are interesting to observe. "Most advanced OS!" Prettiest OS, maybe, but most advanced!?!? "It just works!" Not so much with iOS 6 Maps, eh?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.