iPhone 4s updated to IOS 6.0, can no longer connect to my macbook :/

Reaction score
HELP!

HUGE MISTAKE :/ I updated my software on my iPhone 4s to ios 6.0 , not realizing that it wouldn't work on the current version of itunes on my macbook 10.5.8 ...and I can't get the latest version with 10.5.8 as it requires an OS of 10.6.8 or higher.

I've read online that you can't downgrade an iphone 4s either so I've decided perhaps I should try to upgrade the OS on my computer?! I have a leopard now (I think? Sorry am unfamiliar with mac terms) and I need to have a 10.6.8 OS in order for me to download the itunes that's compatible with my iphone.

Anyone got suggestions? help much MUCH appreciated!

(I've also posted this on the OS forum but I thought I might post it here as well as it deals with both topics)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The OS forum is for OSX on Macs so I merged your posts here. There is a way to go back but with that older iTunes I am not exactly sure. I am sure someone else will post and I will search and see what I can come up with.

Did you backup the iphone before you did IOS6?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you're ready to upgrade to 10.6 and "assuming" you have an Intel based machine and not PPC, you could call Apple in your country and purchase a copy of Snow Leopard. Should be a number for the Apple online store in your countries' Apple homepage.

It is still available here in the U.S., but only direct from Apple or typically used from 3rd parties. If you try and go the 3rd party route, you'll need to make sure you get a retail version (it will be a white disc) and not one of the grey discs that shipped with a Mac as they are system specific.

C

chas_m

As a rule of thumb, brand new equipment plus really, really old OS and/or software = bad mix.

Keep everything up to date contemporaneously is best practice, particularly with Macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.