Leopard or Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
Hello, I have recently purchased an iMac with Tiger installed, and need an update. I was wondering, do I have to get Leopard before Snow Leopard? I have seen in other places that you can skip to SL, but I just want to make sure. Thanks for your time! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
You do not need to have installed Leopard before you upgrade to Snow Leopard.. I have reinstalled my OS and started from Tiger, I don't have Leopard, so I went straight to SL..

Good Luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OSX Lion; iPad (3rd gen.) 32GB WiFi; iPod touch (3rd gen) 32G
How old is your iMac? Does it have an Intel chip or PowerPC like G4 or G5? You need an Intel Mac to run Snow Leopard, otherwise Leopard is the highest version of OSX that you can run on a PowerPC Mac.

OP
A
Reaction score
It is PowerPC G4, and I don't think it has an Intel chip, because I have been trying to find one for a download.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It is PowerPC G4, and I don't think it has an Intel chip, because I have been trying to find one for a download.

You are stuck with Leopard. Snow Leopard and on are INTEL only. Sorry.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA

Only Lion and Mountain Lion are officially available for download, all previous versions of OS X came on DVD's. You will want to go search on eBay and other sites for a copy of Leopard..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.