• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HD camcorder recording directly to mac hard drive?

Reaction score
I'm new to the HD camcorder world. I got a good deal today on a JVC GZ-E10 and was told it was mac compatible. I'm able to record video on the SD card and upload to imovie 09 no problem. My question is: Is there a way to record directly from my camera into iMovie onto my hard drive without the SD card? I bought the HD camera to get a better picture over the iSight camera and in order to shoot several hours of high quality video I will need a 32 GB SDHC card or higher. With my old Canon mini DV camcorder via firewire into my Dell I was able to record directly onto my computer's hard drive so I find it frustrating that I cannot do this with my new setup. Or can I? I'm shooting music instructional videos sitting in front of my laptop. If there is a HD camcorder that can do exactly what I need I will return this one. Any help appreciated, thanks.

C

chas_m

Not that I know of, with that camera.

Many "pro" cameras (we're talking the $10K level) can do this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.