My macbook needs more Oompf!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro OSX 10.5.2, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Hi there

I have an old macbook pro (circa 2009) running OS X 10.5.8. 2.5 GHz processor.

I was led to believe that the maximum RAM i could install was 4gb, which I have done. However I have heard rumours that you can put up to 16gb in them, but you need to install a patch or something to make the macbook accept it.

does anyone know anything about this or if this old macbook can take more than 4GB RAM?

Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OSX Lion; iPad (3rd gen.) 32GB WiFi; iPod touch (3rd gen) 32G
If it's a 2008 MacBook Pro (what I suspect from your RAM speed in your Specs data) it can take up to 6 GB even though "officially" it is supposed to max out at 4 GB. A 2009 MacBook Pro can hold up to 8 GB. If you go to "About This Mac" in the Apple menu you can find out the model identifier of your Mac (e.g. MacBookPro 4,1 or MacBookPro 5,1

C

chas_m

Indeed, I am writing this on a 2009 MacBook Pro that uses 8GB of RAM -- no patches or anything special required. It may just be that 4GB RAM chips of the type the MacBook Pro required weren't around or weren't practical in 2009, but they're available now -- cheap!

C

chas_m

Another thing you can do is beef up the HD. I switched mine out to a 7200rpm model and it makes a difference. Putting in an SSD would make an even more significant improvement but they're still a bit too pricey for me (getting better though).

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro OSX 10.5.2, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Thanks for the info guys. I've just had a look at the model identifier. its MacBookPro 4,1. I'm guessing it is actually a late 2008 model ( i got it near the end of the year). Looking at apple it says a max of 4GB but obviously thats not true.

So I can go up to 8GB? and I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to beefing up harddrives. Are you saying I should buy a faster one and replace current one? (puts newbie had on head)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.