Problem with using VGA monitor with Mac Pro

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have just bought a Mac Pro which has a ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card in it. I have tried connecting it to a VGA monitor using a (non Mac branded) DVI-VGA adapter connected to the Dual Link DVI port.

Initially when you turn the system on, the os loading screen is displayed but then it disappears and the monitor does not register having a signal. I have tried it on a HD TV as well because I thought that the resolution might be too high for the computer monitor to display but it does the same thing.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I thought that it may be an issue created by me using the wrong DVI converter (DVD-I rather than DVD-D) but then if this was the case then surely nothing would be displayed on the screen at all (?) As it stands, I can't do anything with my nice new shiny mac.

Is there a chance that the mac is broken out the box? (although it does talk you through set up pages through the speakers) or is it likely that i'm using the wrong connectors?

I'm new to mac and haven't got a clue. Please help!

I ca

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Suggest the Mac Pro, if that is what it is and not a MacBOOK Pro, uses DVI-I and VGA not the best connection at all.

OP
U
Reaction score
hey

Hey there, it is indeed a Mac Pro. What would you suggest the best way of converting it to VGA is? I'm reluctant to by a new monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Think you are in the market for a genuine Apple DVI-VGA connector. They have no cable, just connectors on each end.

Having said that these are only ever advertised as for MacBooks, Pros and Minis. And VGA simply does not give a resolution near DVI.

OP
U
Reaction score
Ok, figured out the problem. Thought i'd post the solution up here in case anyone else found themselves in this position.... Turns out that DVI-VGA adapter I was using wasn't up to scratch with the resolution I was putting through it, so it would display the initial load up as that is very low resolution but then when it met a higher resolution like the actual OS it crapped out. Solution - bought a Mini display port to vga adapter and that sorted it.....actually i bought a mini port to hdmi adapter and a new hd screen....but both worked....moral of the story, buy apple accessories (although the mini port to hmdi isnt apple and it still works)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.