ITunes problems are making me nuts!

Reaction score
Hi. As a classical music and opera fan, I'm having some serious recurring problems with iTunes. I hope someone can help me!

I know that iTunes wasn't designed with people like me in mind, but I'd have hoped that they'd have addressed these issues by now. ITunes has a nasty habit of breaking my albums into multiples. I think this must have something to do with different sets of artists on a single album, but it is massively irritating: I think that one compilation, Renee Fleming's "The Beautiful Voice," is in five different files. Another, of choral music that is partly a cappella and partly accompanied by an orchestra, is in two.

This means that I can't listen to the music in the way the producers intended, and, furthermore, that I have to stop and start. It destroys the integrity of the recording, and makes me cranky to boot. How do I fix this, and get iTunes to recognize the album as it's supposed to be?

There also seems to be a problem with really long albums. (I like Wagner, among other composers.) Is there a way to fix it so that an act will play straight through?

The final question is related: How do I get rid of the shuffle feature?

Thanks!

M

MacInWin

In iTunes, right click on the tracks in the various folders and then use Get Info to see what is different between them on the Info and Sorting tabs. Pick the one you want, and then copy/paste it to the others. I think you can select a bunch at a time and change the data and it should change for them all. Track numbers also can be changed in the Info tab. If you want them to play with no gap, select "Part of a gapless album" on the Options tab.

Hope that helps some.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you, MacInWin. I'll try to figure it out! Should I do it on my desktop, or on my various devices?

M

MacInWin

I've only done that on the desktop, then let it sync to the devices. That works pretty well.

M

MacInWin

My suggestion is to use cut/paste, not to type it in. The process is pretty finicky, and is sensitive to extra spaces, etc. But I got one album that literally had each track in a separate album put back together using this technique.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.