new mac user

Reaction score
I have a 7/11 MacBook Air I purchased used. It shows that there are six updates to software and downloads... I have to restart the computer and then is says, after about 15 minutes, that nothing was downloaded and an expected error occurred. That's all - no error code.

I also tried to accept iPhoto in the app store and it says I cannot (seems I have to use the prior owner's apple id which is not going to happen - not someone know).

Can anyone help? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What version of OS X is on the MBA you purchased? However, as a new owner of the machine and as a start, you will need your own Apple ID and then purchase a copy of OS X from the Mac App Store. Probably Mountain Lion which is $19.99. Install it clean and go from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Have you actually set the computer up with you as user or still using former owner's files? Try setting up a new account in your name under System Preferences > Users and Groups by clicking the little '+' button. When all is good you can delete the original account.

OP
R
Reaction score
version....

What version of OS X is on the MBA you purchased? However, as a new owner of the machine and as a start, you will need your own Apple ID and then purchase a copy of OS X from the Mac App Store. Probably Mountain Lion which is $19.99. Install it clean and go from there.

Thanks for the response - been looking around but can't find out where I can see which version I have. Seems like the prior user, though I had to set up (I already have an apple id as I've had an iPhone for years) is still somewhere in the system?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
Did you set up your own user account when you first turned on the mac? If so then you should be able to set up your own apple ID in the system preferences.

You can click the apple menu at the top left of the screen, and click About This Mac and it will tell you your Mac OS X version. In my example I am using 10.8.2.

Screen Shot 2012-09-22 at 10.51.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-09-22 at 10.53.30 PM.png

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks - Mac OS x 10.7.4
I did set up my own stuff when I first turned it on, yes...

C

chas_m

If you have the prior owner's account, that could be a huge security risk for you or for them. I would STRONGLY recommend buying your own copy of Mountain Lion (using your own Apple ID), then installing it, then rebooting from the recovery partition and WIPING the other partition and reinstalling ML. This will take a little time, but the system will finally actually be yours. You'll then buy whatever software you feel you need to add (like iPhoto) and it will be YOUR software.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks - made a reservation

If you have the prior owner's account, that could be a huge security risk for you or for them. I would STRONGLY recommend buying your own copy of Mountain Lion (using your own Apple ID), then installing it, then rebooting from the recovery partition and WIPING the other partition and reinstalling ML. This will take a little time, but the system will finally actually be yours. You'll then buy whatever software you feel you need to add (like iPhoto) and it will be YOUR software.

Thanks for the response . . . I just made an appt at the Genius Bar - - not going to mess it up on my own! This morning the battery was at 0% - lid was closed - - thought it was asleep if not shut down - - so, going to Apple tomorrow.
Thank you - I agree I need to ensure the MBA is mine -

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.