WD IDE drive in G5?

D

dziner

I have a question. I have an 80GB Western Digital drive in my old beige G3 and was wondering if I can put that in my new 1.6Ghz G5? The G5 has a Serial ATA drive and that's why I'm wondering if it's even possible to put the 80GB IDE drive into it.

OP
H

hokiethang

dziner said:
I have a question. I have an 80GB Western Digital drive in my old beige G3 and was wondering if I can put that in my new 1.6Ghz G5? The G5 has a Serial ATA drive and that's why I'm wondering if it's even possible to put the 80GB IDE drive into it.

Since it is Serial ATA, i doubt it is possible. You may be able to get a SATA adaptor which would attach to the ide port on the hard drive and allow you to connect the 80GB ide drive as an SATA drive. I do not know if they work with the G5 SATA controller, but it should. My SATA adaptor was from siig and purchased at compUSA (for my PC).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.