Using two iPods with one Mac

PJS

Reaction score
When I got a new iPod (iPod Touch), I gave my old iPod (iPod classic) to my brother. If I connect that old iPod to my Mac, will the computer load all the songs currently in my iTunes onto that old iPod? If so, that's fine.

My fear is that when I connect the old iPod, iTunes will revert back to only the songs that are on the old iPod (which is about half of the songs currently in my iTunes) and that all the songs I have bought since I got my new iPod will be lost. Is it even possible that this could happen?

Has anyone added a second iPod to the same Mac using the same iTunes account? Once again, my fear is that somehow everything currently in my iTunes will somehow get wiped out when I connect the old iPod. Baseless fear?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not a problem. I've added something like 10 or 12 iPods to my Mac and have never lost a single song or recording. (We make our own recordings and put them on iPods to give away as gifts.)

What will happen is that iTunes will sync the iPod to its music library unless you tell it not to. It will fill the iPod. Nothing will get wiped out in iTunes.

It is possible though to wipe out a fully loaded iPod if you re-sync it to iTunes with a different music library. So be careful there, otherwise you should be OK.

OP
P

PJS

Reaction score
iPod won't turn on unless plugged into wall but battery seems charged

I have a follow-up question for chscag or some other wizard.

I plugged in my old iPod Classic and charged it up for a long time. I got that little plug symbol that indicates that it's fully charged. The iPod turns on and works fine when it's plugged into the wall, but as soon as I unplug it, it won't do anything at all. Just black screen. I also tried plugging it into the computer. Nothing.

I tried re-setting by toggling the "Hold" button and then pressing Play/Pause and Menu at the same time. Nothing.

Why would it be fine when plugged into the wall but not when unplugged or plugged into the computer? Is it possible that is really is not fully charged even though it did show that little plug symbol? It had been just sitting for many months.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I have a follow-up question for chscag or some other wizard.

Well I would hate to take chscag's Wizard staff away...;)

Depending on how old your old iPod is, the battery might be completely shot and unable to actually hold a charge. So when plugged into the wall/computer it will go through the motions of charging and report that it's fully charged, but once unplugged its incapability to hold the charge means you have a dead iPod.

Like every rechargeable battery that from a laptop or AA, the batteries in the iPod have a similar "lifetime". If you wish to continue using it, you might have to take it apart and replace the battery for a new one..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Like every rechargeable battery that from a laptop or AA, the batteries in the iPod have a similar "lifetime". If you wish to continue using it, you might have to take it apart and replace the battery for a new one..

Agree with my fellow wizard's reply. ;) Add to it this: Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up the instructions for changing the battery. You may need to buy or dig up a "spudger" tool (which they sell), but changing the battery is not difficult.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.