• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Printing on DVDs and DVD case covers

Reaction score
Hi folks, using an iMac (I've just switched over from PC). I do a bit of video editing and produce DVDs which I box. What App would you recommend for printing onto DVDs and also for printing DVD box covers?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This one is free. Give it a try: LINK The box covers will require different software. Maybe Roxio Toast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As a suggestion do not print DVD labels for use with a slot loading iMac. Slot loaders have a high enough failure rate without worrying about stick on labels gumming up the works. As a suggestion get a cheap external tray loading optical drive and use that for DVD with labels.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1. Great suggestion from member Harry. As he mentioned, the label may stick inside the drive and cause problems trying to remove it. I keep an inexpensive tray loading dual layer external drive handy and use it rather than the one that came with my iMac.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I would use the printable disk instead of the ones where you need to print on a sticker and then stick it on the disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would use the printable disk instead of the ones where you need to print on a sticker and then stick it on the disk.

I agree and they look better after a few years of service.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi folks - thanks for the help. chscag, I've downloaded the lightscribe programme - but doesn't seen to be working- I can't see an icon to open the programme?? Where would this be (as I say I'm new to Macs). I've downloaded a couple of other programmes ok.

I never use labels for my disks - always get printable disks.

any other suggestions of programmes to use for jewel case inserts and dvd printing? Have looked in App store and pretty much everything I see has a pretty poor rating.

Thanks

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4
Lightscribe is a crap way of printing to DVDs. Expensive special DVDs needed to produce a ring of dull grey.

Much better to use proper printable DVDs in a inkjet printer.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks Andy - yes I use proper printable DVDs in a inkjet printer. Do you have any recommendations as to the best Apps to use to design the labels / do the printing? (I also want to print DVD case covers).

Cheers

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
I have a Epson R200 photo printer which comes with Epson Print CD software.
I would think that all printer manufactures would supply software for CD printing if the printer is able to print CD's.
Have you looked on your printer manufacturers website.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks docx - yes, there is some software on the manufactures website. Will give it a go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.