• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple's new Maps in iOS 6 draw ire from users around the world

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not from this user with a 3GS.

While I can sure understand some of those gripes listed in the article if true.

There are highways here in the DFW area that have been open for 2-4 years that still are non-existent in the previous google map version. I'm also seeing 3 routes for every direction I've searched (maybe a half dozen thus far) where I was doing good for the old one to give me 2 options - and those were usually bad options due to new hwy openings that were nowhere to be found in the old version.

A drastic amount of new info related to slow roads, closed ramps and current accidents makes this new Maps app a champ on my old iPhone so far.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have not checked much except my city but it looks good so far and it's back to finding my exact location on the map. Blue Dot it right in the middle of my roof where I am sitting with my iPhone! I am impressed so far at least around here.

Tom, same here with google. We have a lot of new 2-4 year old streets in the north end of town and some are still not on google.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It may be that the data Apple got reflects certain areas better than others (and considerably so). From what I've seen, a lot of the problems appear to be with UK based locations.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It may be that the data Apple got reflects certain areas better than others (and considerably so). From what I've seen, a lot of the problems appear to be with UK based locations.

That very well could be the case. I know some where in Europe Google got literally chased out of the town and told to never come back so they never finished logging the street view there!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It does seem a bit rough, but I've seen worse. Back when I first got a Powerbook, I was trying to use Route 66, which was the only native map application for OS X at the time. I was constantly struggling with it and one day, I cross-referenced a location on MapQuest. Route 66 had an entire interstate highway misplaced, as it turned out.

The new Maps app is butt-ugly and very unlike Apple in that respect. But they are also at a huge disadvantage here. Google has had many years to refine their mapping software while Apple is just getting started, but I also understand Apple had no real choice. I was reading an article some time back on Ars Technica about the matter, and while the article itself was good, it was the comments that really shed a lot of light on the matter. One person noted that Google doesn't actually OWN their map data. They were getting it from Navteq but now are using Tele Atlas, from what I'm reading. Google isn't getting that data for free, but more importantly someone who had experience with contract negotiations regarding IP, it's highly unlikely Google can indiscriminately re-use that map data anywhere they please. Obviously Google is allowed to use the data on their own Android platform and for the 3D maps with voice navigation, but it's a fair bet they don't have a contract allowing them to do the same for other platforms, or perhaps not with complete voice navigation anyway. In other words, even IF Google wants to provide 3D map navigation with voice over for iOS, their contracts with the providers of the data likely prohibit it. And if Google can't monetize it on iOS in order to pay for the rights to do so, then they rightfully shouldn't.

Apple is definitely in an awkward position, but really I don't think they had a choice. I think they have the potential to have a superior mapping solution by their decision to allow 3rd parties to tie into it and expand on routing for transit systems, bike paths, and more, but it will take time for this to happen.

EDIT: I just read some of this article, and that does support my theory about monetization:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/why-are-companies-defecting-from-google-maps/

Several months back, I first noticed a search in the Maps app gave me a "sponsored" result rather than the result I actually wanted. That really irritated me and I expected it was a bad sign of the future, even though I wasn't able to immediately replicate that at the time. In the past several weeks, it's been happening more often. So good riddance to Google. I'll ride this out with Apple... they'll be working their butts off to refine this over the next couple years because we are their customers, not their product.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
One person noted that Google doesn't actually OWN their map data.
Nor does Apple theirs - it all comes from TomTom. However, I do agree that it is easier to manage your own relationship with a supplier (TomTom in this case) than to manage a relationship with someone (Google) who also has to manage one with their data supplier. There's less to go wrong with the route Apple has taken.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.