Trouble with ethernet splitter

Reaction score
I recently bought an iMac OS X running 10.8.1
I'm a university student and my room only has one ethernet port in the wall.
Last year i had a really old powermac and used this ethernet splitter to use with my xbox aswell

5 Port 10/100 Ethernet Network Switch LAN Hub RJ45: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

But once i plug the mac into the ethernet splitter it takes all control of the internet.
The xbox wont connect nor will the mac if something is plugged into the first port.

Is there something in the mac settings i can change?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the port you have in your room is an ethernet port and not a Wan connection there's not much you can do. Have you tried attaching a router to that connector to see if it will work? If a router works your problem is solved.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with chscag. A Switch does not provide DHCP IP Address's. A Router will. give that a try if you can. Agreed on the WAN Port. I would bet it's not handing out more than one IP address.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Don't be surprised if solving this problem does not involve a chat with some support folks at the university. Many organizations with large numbers of users frown on individual users setting up their own routers. When not done properly it can cause interesting problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
They most likely have port security turned on, allowing only a single MAC address per port. Thats how I set my switches up, but defo a good idea from Slydude to check with your uni folks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.