• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

MacBook Keyboard Covers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5GHz Intel Core i5
Does anyone know much about these? I've seen a lot of people use them, but others say it's bad for your keyboard. I was looking on Amazon and they're only $1, so if I don't like it, it isn't going to break the bank, lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I use one. Its ok. I wouldn't recommend a cheap one though. If you are thinking about one, get a decent quality one. Cheap ones make typing a nightmare as they are very spongy, and can often catch keys in the pressed position and have it stuck down.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5GHz Intel Core i5
I use one. Its ok. I wouldn't recommend a cheap one though. If you are thinking about one, get a decent quality one. Cheap ones make typing a nightmare as they are very spongy, and can often catch keys in the pressed position and have it stuck down.
That's what I was worried about. Getting one and it ruining my keys on my keyboard. I do have a warranty on it, but that's besides the point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
They aren't going to ruin the keys, it will just hold down the keys in the pressed position.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some folks buy a keyboard cover to protect against spills. I don't know what you have in mind for the keyboard cover, but a notebook stand will give you better protection. It also elevates the machine up closer to eye level giving you better viewing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2010 2.4GHz 2GB 10.8.1 iPhone 3GS
I hadn't thought about a keyboard cover. It seems like a good idea.

I mostly use my Macbook on my lap, and it does get a few crumbs in the keyboard. Also the keys themselves can get a bit messy. Thankfully no coffee spills yet.

Although my Macbook has survived this treatment quite well for almost 3 years, maybe I should get a keyboard cover. Thanks for the idea Brendon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.