slow

Reaction score
Have had a Macbook Pro for a little over a year. Have ESET Cybersecurity and it scans and updates daily. According to it I am virus and trojan free. However, I'm slow.
Everything offline is slow (Dashboard apps, Word, etc). Online everything takes a long time to come up as well.
Suggestions?
Thx

C

chas_m

You have answered your own question. The Cyberwhatsit is scanning everything and slowing you down. Uninstall that useless piece of junk.

OP
J
Reaction score
You have answered your own question. The Cyberwhatsit is scanning everything and slowing you down. Uninstall that useless piece of junk.

I've had the virus program since I purchased the laptop. The problem just started. Could it take that long to cause a problem?

The program was recommended by Leo Leport so I felt comfortable with it. Should I simply rely upon the laptop firewall?

Thx

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Can you disable this thing for a short time to see if things speed up? If you've had it for that long, it should have been slow all along. Can you run OnyX to see if it can clean things up and also run repair permissions through disk utility to see what happens..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes disable it and how much free hard drive space do you have available?

C

chas_m

You have the software firewall on AS WELL? Turn that off also.

Harryb may be onto something. I've no doubt that this Eset thing has bloated up a log that is eating your HD space.

If Leo LaPorte's recommending an "anti-virus" for Macs, he's completely out of his league. I have to think you've simply gotten the Mac version of an anti-virus he recommended for WINDOWS.

OP
J
Reaction score
You have the software firewall on AS WELL? Turn that off also.

Harryb may be onto something. I've no doubt that this Eset thing has bloated up a log that is eating your HD space.

If Leo LaPorte's recommending an "anti-virus" for Macs, he's completely out of his league. I have to think you've simply gotten the Mac version of an anti-virus he recommended for WINDOWS.

We may be saying the same thing..... Nod32 is the PC version. The one I'm using is specifically for the Mac.

The firewall I'm referring to is the one that came on the laptop. Will I be turning it off temporarily?

Thx.

OP
J
Reaction score
Can you disable this thing for a short time to see if things speed up? If you've had it for that long, it should have been slow all along. Can you run OnyX to see if it can clean things up and also run repair permissions through disk utility to see what happens..

I'll disable the anti-virus program as suggested. Not familiar with the two programs you suggest but I'll figure them out. Thanks so much!

C

chas_m

The firewall I'm referring to is the one that came on the laptop. Will I be turning it off temporarily?

No, permanently. It is off by default and turning it on has likely produced a conflict with your hardware firewall (your router).

Doing a proper uninstall of the anti-virus (follow the company's directions on how to uninstall it), turn off the software firewall, run OnyX to repair any damage and restart the machine and I'll bet you'll have a very zippy Mac again.

OP
J
Reaction score
Slow

No, permanently. It is off by default and turning it on has likely produced a conflict with your hardware firewall (your router).

Doing a proper uninstall of the anti-virus (follow the company's directions on how to uninstall it), turn off the software firewall, run OnyX to repair any damage and restart the machine and I'll bet you'll have a very zippy Mac again.

Thank you. I will. I'm not even going to pretend to know what I'm doing. I was a PC person since early 90's. So please forgive additional questions. I'm not challenging you. I just need to understand better. So, if I turn the firewall off permanently what will I have for protection? Also I have 373.29 GB hard drive space available. Does it still sound like the ESET program is hogging a lot of space?

Thx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
It does not sound like it is hogging a lot of space. At least not to me.

You really do not need AV software on a Mac product. If you read the link below it will give you a lot of the details. I have been using a MBP now for sometime and have never had AV software and see no reason for it. I am very cognizant of what I open in email and I just don't visit web sites that are prone to have Malware which is different than a PC type virus.

The link will explain more about this.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sw...-official-antivirus-malware-firewall-faq.html

C

chas_m

Thank you. I will. I'm not even going to pretend to know what I'm doing. I was a PC person since early 90's. So please forgive additional questions. I'm not challenging you. I just need to understand better. So, if I turn the firewall off permanently what will I have for protection?

Your router's hardware firewall, which is vastly better.

Also I have 373.29 GB hard drive space available. Does it still sound like the ESET program is hogging a lot of space?

No, clearly the issue is not a question of running out of HD space (which could also make your Mac sluggish). I would bet that (as I said before) uninstalling the "anti-virus," turning off the software firewall, running OnyX to clean up the damage and restarting the machine will result in restored snappiness.

You may still see some occasional beachballs if you don't have enough RAM for what you are doing, but other than that you should expect a well-performing machine after taking those steps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.