TimeMachine & Mountain Lion

Reaction score
Since I uprgraded to Mountain Lion TimeMachine does not appear to work properly or at all?? When I backup if there is nothing on the desktop then there is nothing in timemachine just blank, old backups now show as a list down the left side but only showing the stuff that was on the desktop at the time of backup, I can't see the Macintosh Hd so cannot get to files or apps if I need to restore them. I have unplugged restarted external hd deleted plist reselected external harddrive. the external hard drive does flash when backup is taking place and the little icon turns around in the menu bar so appears to be working. am I missing something here.
Help would be much appreciated.:|:|:|

C

chas_m

I don't know what is going on with your machine (though it sounds like you have somehow told TM to ONLY backup the user's desktop folder!), but I can assure you that TM works normally on other people's machines running ML.

I suggest you erase your TM backup drive entirely and then set it up as a new drive and let TM use it as a normal backup. The first one will take a little while but as you know once that's done it will behave normally.

OP
W
Reaction score
thanks chas m have been thinking about geting new back up disk and staring over, funny thing is I never changed any settings when i upgraded it just happened all by itself I guess the technical computer term is "Glitch" which is computer tech talk for I have no bloody idea. This has been the only problem I have had with upgrade other than things amuch slower but have not had time to investigate that yet

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.