iPhone 2G stuck in recovery, draws too much power, doesn't charge

Reaction score
I just bought a used iPhone 2G 4GB and it worked for a couple days, but today I put into recovery mode to reset it to the original firmware, but my IBM didn't recognize it. In device manager it said that there was something wrong with the usb devise and it gave me an error code (code 43). I've tried some instructions on how to exit recovery mode without a computer, but after several attempts, nothing worked. I brought it home and when I plugged it into my MacPro, an error comes up saying it drew too much power and shut down the usb ports. I tried replugging it back in several times, but that always happens. It doesn't respond to official apple chargers, or third party. What is wrong with this piece of crap?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The phone worked fine before you put it in recovery mode? Is that correct? Is that all you did or did you try to update the firmware?

OP
N
Reaction score
Worked fine before putting it into recovery mode. Running 3.1.3. I was about to install new firmware, but this happened. So no, other than a system reset (which worked perfectly), I did not really mess with the firmware

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ok, let me do some searching around and will get back if I can find anything that will help you. I know in the past I have seen your issue but it's been ages. Don't give up yet! :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Really fast, try this.

hold the home button and power button together for at least 30 seconds.

Also see if any of this helps. Read it carefully.

Get the iPhone into simple restore/recovery mode. When in this mode on the iPhone the iTunes logo and the USB cable is shown (Apple default), or "Steve" (Standard Pwnage) or your custom recovery logo.
1. Disconnect iPhone from your PC/Mac if not done already.
2. Hold Power/Sleep until the red slider shows up, slide to shut the iPhone down. If this aint work hold Power/Sleep and Home until the iPhone shuts down. Put it aside.
3. Start iTunes on your PC/Mac and make sure to have the latest version.
4. On the iPhone press Home button and keep holding it while connecting the iPhone to your PC/Mac.
5. iTunes will detect an iPhone in recovery mode, the iPhone shown the recovery logo.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also I wonder if it was Jailbroken? Found many with your issue and their's were Jailbroken. Check this URL.

Iphone 2g stuck in recovery mode

Report back. Still searching.

OP
N
Reaction score
From a turned on state? Just tried it. Screen went to "slide to turn off", then black screen, then apple logo, then finally black screen where it stayed the rest of the time. It is now turned off, and... upon pressing the power button to turn it on, the apple logo just turned on and stayed on for about a minute before returning to the recovery mode screen (itunes cd logo and usb cable). Darn :(

OP
N
Reaction score
And no, it is not jail broken. At least I don't think it is. I didn't jailbreak it, and I'm sure the reset would restore it to the original un- jail broken state with original firmware, right?

OP
N
Reaction score
just tried this sequences from that link (thanks btw):
1. Hold POWER button for 5 seconds....
2. WITHOUT letting go of POWER, hold HOME button for 10 seconds (now both held down)
3. Let go of POWER button, CONTINUE to hold HOME button

Didn't work. still returned to recovery

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will keep searching.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you very much. just tried putting it in DFU mode twice now, by holding power and home for 10, then just home for 10 more. Same results.

OP
N
Reaction score
No, iTunes doesn't recognize it at all in recovery or DFU mode, neither do my computers. As far as the correct firmware, I don't understand why it wouldn't be. When I restored the iPhone, iTunes downloaded that firmware on it's own and installed it onto the device. Wouldn't it recognize it to be the right iPhone-firmware match up?

OP
N
Reaction score
I wonder, what will happen when my battery dies? I mean, obviously, I'm either going to be locked out permanently, or maybe then it might actually accept a charger, or try to connect to my computer. I had a suspicion that there might be something wrong with my 30 pin connector. I cleaned it out with compressed air. It looks good. I don't suppose it is something I can unsolder and replace, is it?

OP
N
Reaction score
Ok, guys, just an update. The phone is fixed and working perfectly! I'm not exactly sure what I did. I was just messing around with different sequences of pressing the home and power button, and then after some sequence I did, it gave me a different screen. It still had the itunes cd and cable, but the "emergancy call" slider was gone. I insterted my sim card and plugged it into my MacPro and sure enough, iTunes detected an iphone. It said that the iphone was unactivated and that I needed to activate it. So I did, and it works now. Thank you so much for the help. I really wish I could remember what the sequence was so that I could post it for future reference, but oh well.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to hear you got it going. If you ever do figure out what you did, please post it! Good going.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.