Macbookpro Retina 2.6 i7 - Which windows & VMWare?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i-7 2.6GHz MacBookPro Retina 15" 768GB HDD
Dear members, I'd be moving to mac computer - today ! All my life have been a windows user and I begin my journey with Macbookpro with retina with 768GB HDD & 8GB RAM.

A quick Q. I want to run a trading software (metastock) on my machine.. For this, I need Windows. Wondering if Ultimate is better or Professional? (There was a thread on the same topic but with no answer - it only said there's an existing thread and so the discussion was closed, and I swear I hunted a lot but haven't found anything on this topic from last month!)

I have two options of Windows license - one I can buy a retail license (in this case I can buy either professional or ultimate).. the other I can ask my organization to include my installation in the bulk copies they procured from Microsoft (this would be professional though)

I'll be going through all the sticky threads as a responsible user - but if one has a handy guide on step-by-step process of installing windows - i mean, I don't have much idea - assuming that I'd need VMWare first and only then should I begin installing windows?

Hoping to have a smooth transition ..

Regards
Ameya

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Visit Compare Windows - Microsoft Windows and then click on the Feature Comparison to get an idea of what each version has to offer.

In most cases, the Professional version is a good mix of what you need. So if it's a matter of cost, then I'd recommend the Professional version.

You can purchase VMWare Fusion or Parallels or try the free VirtualBox to create a VM. Once you purchase the Windows disc, put that into your rMBP and point your VM at it and it will go through the normal Windows installation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
One Windows app? Go for Pro: what are you going to do with all the additional features on a "secondary" machine?

Reaction score
OK I registered in this forum just to help you out.

I am a Forex trader myself and recently switched to macbook pro for the first time in my life. I also purchased the retina version of Macbook pro and upgraded the ram to 16gb for future use.

I also wanted to install Meta Trader 4 and did not wish to install the entire Windows operating system in my macbook pro. So what I did is, i installed a small software called "WineBottler" easy available for Mac. After installing Wine Bottler it required another plugin to install the apps called "XQuartz" so it promted me to install that app. So I installed that app too. After that I downloaded the meta trader .exe file in my laptop and it automatically ran and installed in this macbook pro.

It was so easy that i would say it was easier than my expectations. So basically install Wine Bottle and Xquartz and you are good to install any windows app in your mac operating system. This is ok if you want to install only few windows apps in your Mac and do not wish to install the Windows operating system. The resolution of the mt4 are not as great as is shown in windows platform but they are still good enough for my use.

I think there shouldn't be any issue if you are familiar with Windows operating system but if there is any issue you could send reply back to this message by tomorrow (as I may not remember this site for long time if i did not become regular member of it).

I also had a problem putting the short cut of the MT4 software on my desktop but i think you will figure that out yourself with little help (if need be)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.