Yet, another Switcher

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Retina MBP 2015
PC user from the beginning of time will switch next month big time!

I have the pad; now comes for me the iPhone 5 and an anti-glare 15" MBP.

Wife has the pad; now comes for her the 4S, and either an 11 or 13 MBA. I want her to get the 13 in case I have a fixit problem with my 15.

I am a photographer and live in Lightroom and Photoshop; of course, also Office.

No gaming etc.

Today's plan is to buy a basic machine with the 2.6 processor.

Upgrade RAM to 16; replace the 5400 with a 240 6G SSD; replace the optical with a 480 3g Extreme. How really hard is it to do the hardware upgrades; any suggestions? How long should it take?

I will get the Apple Care and 1 to 1.

The Moshi and Thunderbolt cables; should I wait and buy from a place like Fry’s?

I did not opt to buy any of the offered extra software; any must haves?

Software: any particular programs that I should seriously consider, e.g., do I need Parallels?

Other switchers, past or present, any recommended digital books etc to help with the switch?

All suggestions greatly appreciated;

C

chas_m

PC user from the beginning of time will switch next month big time!

Congrats!

Software: any particular programs that I should seriously consider, e.g., do I need Parallels?

Other switchers, past or present, any recommended digital books etc to help with the switch?

All suggestions greatly appreciated;

You don't need Parallels et al.

If you really need Office, get Office: but have a look at Pages, Keynote and Numbers. Sadly I don't think Apple does 30-day trials on them anymore but they're super cheap ($20 each) and delightful alternatives (though very different than Office, but in IMO a good way)

Download and install the free Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian. This will make QuickTime play other formats without moaning.

For books, I'd suggest " Switching to the Mac.

Enjoy!

OP
Luvntravln
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Retina MBP 2015
Hi Chas, thanks for the recommendations. BTW, the link for Switching to the MAC takes you O'Reilly ($24), same book at Amazon - $15.39.

Having lived in Office from the very beginning, the GBs of documents and emails saved is more than enormous. I couldn't contemplate a change; at least not until I am thoroughly indoctrinated in the OS X.

Went to Apple store today, wife has demanded an 11" - SWMBO wins; it is her computer not my 2nd computer. LOL

Cheers,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.