import digital video from Panasonic pv-gs500 with 10.7.4

Reaction score
Have gone back and forth with Panasonic with no solutions on their end. Seems sad. Just trying to get the video off tapes and on to a hard drive. Crazy, but Panasonic is saying the opertating system on my wifes macbook pro is to advanced! I've been trying to use Imovie.

Thoughts?

did purchase a dv to firewire cable

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What does happen when you plug in the camcorder to your Mac over the firewire cable? You have to tell us what you've tried before rather than us hashing over things you've already done.

OP
T
Reaction score
Basically, connected the camcorder with the dv cable and tried to launch imovie. When I tried to import from the cam, the message was communication error. The cursor slowed down and eventually froze.

I spoke with Panasonic about it and tried a variety of ways to connect. What they told me was that because the operating system is 10.7.4, the camcorder would not be able to work with the Mac. They said if I had an earlier operating system it might. I found it funny that they would not have a support work around for this, so I joined the mac forum to try to find a solution. I have tried using the dv to firewire and the usb to usb from the cam to the mac, both in the pc connect mode and tape review mode.

OP
T
Reaction score
I turned on imovie, connected cam in pc connection mode using the fire wire, window pops up and in about 3 seconds says, communication error.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.