Can't find my files, please help.

Reaction score
Hi
I am new to Mac. so fare I am happy but it is a big learning curve. My wife has an iPhone that I never use, she loves it. My daughter has an iPad that I have looked at a little. I got tired or have been tired of windows so here I am.
Now, I just used Migration Assistant last night to transfer files from my old laptop, it took a long time, and "Migration Assistant" said that I would find the files were I would expect them. but I cant find them.
can you help?
Ray

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
In the menu bar, all the way to the right is a magnifying glass, this is Spotlight. Click on it to get a text box, now enter a name of the file you remember and see where it finds the file. Now open up Finder and go to that location and see if the rest of your files are there..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also, it would help if you told us where you migrated the files from? Was it from a PC and using the Windows Migration Assistant, or was it from another Mac? It makes a difference as to where the migrated data will be located. The Migration Assistant works a bit differently in both cases.

C

chas_m

I suspect that what the OP is trying to tell us is the Classic Mistake: he created an account on the Mac FIRST instead of using Migration Assistant as it is supposed to be used, AS you first run the Mac.

I'll bet you that if he logs out of his account, he will find a new account created with all his PC stuff.

OP
Reaction score
yes to both chscag and chase_m that is I am new to mac! I have been using a pc. I did not try to get my stuff from the PC at New Mac start up. the new mac was an overwhelming experience. I have been learning it for a week and a half now. I will try to log out and look for this new pc account.
Thank you
Jack Straw

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.