Suggested Computer Specs

Reaction score
Ideal computer specs for the following uses. IE- What specs would be good to have for each use and why those specs are beneficial?
Small Business Owner
Gamer
Frequent Internet User
Home User

Thanks for your help in advance!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
The "user" categories you listed may be a bit problematic for people to respond to. Those categories don't necessarily represent specifically what specs would be beneficial to those users.

For example, a small business owner that is using a computer to create graphics, produce animations, or something else graphics intensive would benefit from a computer with more memory (ram) for processing renderings (8 GB or more). They would also benefit from a computer that has an independent graphics card with 1-2 GBs of dedicated memory for the graphics card. If they are doing a lot of animations or high quality graphics they would probably want a small SSD (128-256 GB) to run the operating system from (higher speeds for processing power) and an external hard drive with a large capacity (1 TB or more) for documents storage. A high definition screen resolution should also be considered for this category.

If they are a small business owner using computing simply for a catalogue or as a point-of-sale, they don't need very high end specs. 2-4 gbs of ram (probably less), a standard hard drive and a on board graphics card that shares ram with the computer memory. A lot of business owners are turning iPads and other tablets into point-of-sales in lieu of a full fledged computer.

For a gamer it really depends on the game. Newer games require the same specs as a graphics designer, some times more intense. For a gamer I would look at the minimum or recommended specs for the latest games and base your opinion from that. I'm not a gamer so I can't be of much help here.

I'm going to group frequent internet user & home user together. For most day to day tasks I would say a computer with 2-4 GB of ram, a ~500 GB hard drive (more for a home user that needs a lot of storage for home movies, pictures, etc) and a standard graphics card. A frequent internet user or home user might like something that has a decent screen resolution or monitor output if they are watching videos on their computer.

C

chas_m

An iMac should do you fine. Spend a little more on the better video card option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.