• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

meditation

Reaction score
I've been considering meditation and possible study of buddhism. I don't have a local buddhist temple though. How would you recommend starting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Not really a topic for the mac forums

But you can practice meditation and it's quite simple

Just practising relaxation and stilling your mind, it can be difficult at first depending on your temperament. Trying to think of nothing can be difficult at first, so perhaps look for a yoga course, which is similar in its aims

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Not sure the Buddhists have the meditation market cornered. Do you want to be a practicing Buddhist specifically, or do you just want to learn meditation techniques?

OP
D
Reaction score
louishen, I checked the rules for the lounge and I think I'm within allowable topics.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Thanks for your thoughts on meditation though. I'm hopeful to get some additional advice or even a pointer to some place where I can learn more.

OP
D
Reaction score
XJ-linux, I had thought meditation was tied directly to buddhism. I'm certainly open to suggestions. Techniques to calm the mind and reduce anxiety. It's difficult to learn about it without a teacher or some direct advice. Thanks for your post.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
louishen, I checked the rules for the lounge and I think I'm within allowable topics.

You are definitely within the rules for Schweb's Lounge!:)

I'm thinking what's being suggested is, we may not have very many "meditation" experts here…so helpful responses may be few. There are forums on the internet for just about any topic area…and a dedicated "Meditation Forum" would probably yield you MANY more & varied responses.

Techniques to calm the mind and reduce anxiety. It's difficult to learn about it without a teacher or some direct advice. Thanks for your post.

Just like Mac-Forums…a Meditation forum probably has a lot of "sticky topics" and "helpful hints"…which would probably contain the exact info you are looking for.:)

But you are more than welcome to discuss the topic of meditation here…all of us "computer folks" may learn something new in the process!;)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks. It's hard to wade through all the google responses to find a good forum for specific topics. Google puts so much of the commercial stuff at the top it's hard to find what I'm searching for anymore. Maybe I should consider a different search engine. Thanks for your thoughts.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks. It's hard to wade through all the google responses to find a good forum for specific topics. Google puts so much of the commercial stuff at the top it's hard to find what I'm searching for anymore. Maybe I should consider a different search engine. Thanks for your thoughts.

If you type "meditation forum" into a Google search…you will immediately get many hits for what you're looking for. Here are some hits I got in just the first two pages of the search (there are MANY MANY more)…and not much (if any) wading thru commercial stuff was necessary!:):

http://www.abc-of-meditation.com/forum/
Meditation - Spiritual Forums
Meditation Chatter Box - Project Meditation Community Forum
Buddhist Meditation Forum - (please read guidelines))
Healing Body and Mind with Meditation - Forums and Discussions - MedHelp
Meditation Forum
Yoga and Meditation Forum - Hip Forums

- Nick

p.s. This thread is about 4 hours old…and I found all this info in about 30 seconds!:)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

Thanks for your thoughts on meditation though. I'm hopeful to get some additional advice or even a pointer to some place where I can learn more.

The reason Louishen raised the point (at least I think this is his reason) is meditation or exercise or diet are all fairly general and open topics. But talking religion, such as Buddhism, is a lot like starting a discussion on the US presidential election. It can get heated, even nasty, very quickly.

So, while your topic is within the boundaries . . . we need to make certain everyone stays civil.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.