Question about dock

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
Hi guys. I'm a new switcher (2 weeks ago I got my first Mac). I'm trying to figure out how to use cmd-tab to switch between each and every window.. It won't switch between windows if there are more than one window of a program open. Like if I have 2 Word documents open it only switches to the first one. I want it to cycle between ALL open windows. Is there a way to allow that? It's really frustrating me. I don't see anything like that in the system prefs area, but I may not be fully understanding what that setting is called. I don't want to have to move my mouse, long-click on the icon, then select the window. That just takes too much time and is pretty annoying to deal with. I'm a keyboard user, not a heavy mouse user except when needed.

Any advice?
Thanks!!

C

chas_m

You can click on the Mission Control button on your dock and select which Word window you want to have focus.

In the System preferences for Mission Control, you can also set a specific Function Key for "application windows," which I suspect is EXACTLY what you want. I have mine set for F5, but you can use anything you like as long as it doesn't conflict with a system command (so no remapping command-tab, for example). One in the applications windows view, you can use the arrow keys to pick the window you want (or just click on it).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 11" i5 Mid 2012 Mountain Lion 10.8.5
You can press control and F3 key at the same time to activate application expose, which means that it will show the active application's windows. If you want to view all windows, just press F3 to view Mission Control, but it will group each applications' windows together.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:D you're welcome!

OP
xdunlapx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
None of those things help me unfortunately. Is there a setting that allows cmd-tab to cycle through all windows not just the last used ones?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just figured it out! If you activate cmd-tab, go to the application that you want on the switcher (still holding down cmd) then press up. It shows all of that application's windows.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Command - Tab: cycle through applications.
Command - `: cycle through windows of the currently active application.

That's as close as you're going to get from the keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
The problem with cmd-` is it doesn't cycle minimized/hidden windows. The cmd-tab plus cmd-up arrow will show the minimized hidden windows through expose. (Cmd-down arrow seems to also work)

If you can avoid minimize or hide - then cmd-` seems to work alright.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
True, the command tab & up/down will show minimized windows (oh why did Apple remove this from Expose? It was the best addition in years!). That is a slower method though if both windows are not in a minimized state. So, I suppose the best solution depends on the circumstance.

If you hide the windows, they're revealed if you command-tab to them. ;)

OP
xdunlapx
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I guess I'll have to get used to cmd-`

I tend not to minimize my Word windows if I need them all open, so that should help.Thanks! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.