Putting my Mac to sleep makes it logout?

A

agb

Whenever I put my Mac to sleep with Firefox open, when I log back in, there's a message box saying that it was unable to Logout because Firefox wouldn't quit, and a message in Firefox asking if I'm sure I want to close all the tabs that are open. When I click cancel, I can browse the web, but am unable to select the address bar or any of the buttons (back, forward, home, etc.) and I need to restart Firefox.

How can I stop this from happening? How can I stop sleep mode from trying to logout? Is there a way to turn the monitor off without turning sleep mode on?

OP
U

UncSki1218

agb said:
Whenever I put my Mac to sleep with Firefox open, when I log back in, there's a message box saying that it was unable to Logout because Firefox wouldn't quit, and a message in Firefox asking if I'm sure I want to close all the tabs that are open. When I click cancel, I can browse the web, but am unable to select the address bar or any of the buttons (back, forward, home, etc.) and I need to restart Firefox.

How can I stop this from happening? How can I stop sleep mode from trying to logout? Is there a way to turn the monitor off without turning sleep mode on?

ovbiously its not logging out because firefox wont quit until you tell it if it can close all tabs. if you just want the monitor to turn off go to>> system prefs...energy saver...put the computer to sleep: never.....put the display to sleep: choose the time you want. hope that helps!

OP
A

agb

Thanks for your help. That fixes my problem, but I do still have the question I had before.

My question is...why is it trying to logout? I should be able to put the computer in sleep mode without it closing applications, right?

agb

P.S. If I want to turn the screen off, say, now, how would I do that?

UncSki1218 said:
ovbiously its not logging out because firefox wont quit until you tell it if it can close all tabs. if you just want the monitor to turn off go to>> system prefs...energy saver...put the computer to sleep: never.....put the display to sleep: choose the time you want. hope that helps!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If a computer is completely asleep, nothing is running. My Windows XP laptop when I tell it to really sleeps logs out and shuts most of it down. With Windows just like with OSX, you can have it shut off the monitor but it's still not sleeping. When it sleeps things go away and come back when you wake it. I just set up a windows lappy and saw it stop all apps when it went to sleep.

OP
A

agb

Neither the Hibernate nor the Sleep feature in Win XP closes applications. Sure they can't RUN while the computer's sleeping (I can't leave an FTP client transferring files), but when I wake the XP machine up, the programs I had running will still be there as if no time had passed. Mac OS seems to want to close the applications -- do you see why I'm confused now?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I will test it again to be sure, but on my iMac G5 iSight, when it goes to sleep and the light is blinking on and off indicating sleep, when I hit a key and wake it up it takes maybe 3 seconds and all apps are right where I left them and reconnect if they had to disconnect. It just did it tonight as I left it 3 hours which is where i have sleep set for. It's done it many other times and no applications closed. When I said nothing is running, I mean they stop their work but never close. They are there when I wake it up both on XP and this mac and my Mac Mini also.

Which Mac do you have again?

OP
A

agb

I have the new 20-inch iMac G5. Also, I think I solved the problem: in Sys. Prefs > Security, I had "log out after 60 minutes of inactivity" checked. We'll see if it still happens soon enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
there was also a require log in after wake up feature...just to let you know. in firefox u must have the "ask before closing more than one tab" function selected

theres a difference between "sleep" and "log out" to log out you must quit applications...to sleep...you don't

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.