Reusing NAS Hard Drives

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I wasn't exactly sure where to best put this post, so stuck it here.

Currently I have a D-Link DNS-323 NAS with 2 1TB drives in RAID1 and am considering dropping the NAS from my Network and reusing the drives elsewhere.

I am assuming the drives are formatted EXT2 (will check when I get home), I would like to put the drives in an external enclosure and do a direct file transfer before reformatting the drives for other use. Any reasonable way to do this? Would really hate to have to wait on 700GB to transfer over my network.

I also assume (since they are RAID1) that I only need one of the drives to do the transfer with. Right/wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" 10.8 (latest)
The RAID set up is NAS, so it IS backing up already over your network, correct?

If the drives have been written on and are not brand new, I would format them.

Not sure if I can answer your question

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The RAID set up is NAS, so it IS backing up already over your network, correct?

If the drives have been written on and are not brand new, I would format them.

Not sure if I can answer your question

Actually it is currently serving as a 3rd or 4th Tier backup for files (I'm kind of paranoid about backups) and a as pseudo-media server.

I could just pull and reformat the drives, but on the off-chance I might lose something worthwhile, I was going to copy the drive to a large single external drive first (or possibly put one drive in an enclosure and use it as the archived copy--I did admit I was a bit paranoid on backups). ;P

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Mike, since you are using RAID 1, you can pull either of the drives and copy the contents to one of your other backup locations to sort through later on. Once finished and verified (of course :) ) you can format the 2 drives for other use..

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mike, since you are using RAID 1, you can pull either of the drives and copy the contents to one of your other backup locations to sort through later on. Once finished and verified (of course :) ) you can format the 2 drives for other use..

How do I go about reading EXT2 format on my Mac?

I guess I could fire up the Linux box and copy that way to FAT32

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yeah that's an option, I've been using MacFuse to access EXT3 partitions on my SD card (I deal with this for work) and that works great too..

But a VirtualBox VM with Linux works just as well and probably with less hassle with configuration..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.