Removing Adobe

Reaction score
Hi There,

I downloaded and installed Adobe Reader on a new iMac that is running Mountain Lion.

Adobe was mistakenly set as the default reader and I would like to change that so Preview is the default.

I can't find that anywhere ... help??

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Find a pdf in finder. Right (or ctrl- click) on it, select open with, select other. Check "always open with" and then select Preview and click on Open

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
And if you don't want it to be the default for Safari (assuming you use Safari and that Adobe as the pdf plugin bothers you), you can disable it by opening Adobe Reader > Preferences > Internet (I think) > uncheck the setting for the browser plugin.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thank You very much for the responses.

Neither actually gave me the option to make Preview the default viewer for ALL PDF files. I could change the viewer for individual files.

However, as usual, the comments got me to think ... so, I checked my Time Capsule backups until I found where I installed Adobe Reader, and did a restore from the day before that.

Adobe is gone, the problems I was having are gone, and all I lost were a few unimportant bookmarks in Firefox.

So, once again, Thank You for the feedback.

And, I am very glad that the first advice I read on this forum said to buy an external hd and get Time Capsule working. I followed those instructions and today it only took 20 minutes to solve the problem.

Thanks Again,

Cheers,

Tom

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The option is there. Somehow you missed it. It's a checkbox you check to open all files with that extension in the selected app.

Glad you got it sorted with your backup though!

OP
O
Reaction score
Yup, I likely did miss it ... I am still getting used to these Macs after waaaaaayyyy too many years of the other guys.

I solved a couple of problems with my solution and also discovered how to use Time Capsule, so all is good.

Cheers,

Tom

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yup, I likely did miss it ... I am still getting used to these Macs after waaaaaayyyy too many years of the other guys.

I solved a couple of problems with my solution and also discovered how to use Time Capsule, so all is good.

Cheers,

Tom

For the future here is a screen shot. See the button Change All. After you select the app you want to launch with that extension, click on Change all.

macforums.png

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks For That ... I see what I missed now.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.