IP configuration is being automatically changed

Reaction score
Hi All

My IP Configeration is occasionally changing without my input.

I am getting a pop up warning message (big red exclamation mark) and is as follows:

(my IP number) "in use by 6d:67:45:3f:7f:70, DHCP Server 192.175.3.3" (not actual numbers)
I should mention that the server number it is being changed to is very similar to mine with only the last 3 digits being different.

Another problem which may be connected, is that when using messenger, I get a message telling me that I am "signed into another location", hence I cannot use messenger-

Anyone know whats happening?

Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Thread moved - Please read the forum descriptions before posting..

You're going to have to provide more information about your network and other devices before we can provide anything concrete. The message you are getting is being triggered by an IP address conflict. You cannot have two devices on the same network with the same IP address (it's like having 2 houses on the same street with the same number)..so OS X is telling you that the IP address is being changed.

This is separate from your Messenger problems. Most IM services (AIM, MSN, Yahoo, GChat) will warn you when you are logged in from multiple locations and will allow you to bump yourself off from the "other" location..this commonly happens to me when I leave my work laptop connected to the IM services and try to connect to them at home as well..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just so you know - the DHCP server is going to be either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 on practically all modern routers - no worry about letting anyone know what that address is. It will only be seen on your side of the router. That is not the IP address the router has been assigned from your ISP that is connected to the internet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.