Seeing who's connected to a Mac hosted network.

Reaction score
Recently, at a conference, some friends of mine were flying Wifi controlled AR. Drones, and despite the quadrocopters being theirs, they were being highjacked by others in the audience. Being great with computers, my friend and I decided to find the perpetrators and give their identities to a local authority. I started sniffing for traffic going to the drones - and did find their MAC addresses. My friend (a PC user) managed to set up a Wifi honeypot through Connectify to attract the drone hijackers. As soon as they connected to the honeypot, Connectify was able to give us their Net Name, MAC address, IP address, and time of connection, all which were very helpful in tracking down the hijacker. I have searched all over the internet for a way to do this for mac, but alas, it has been virtually fruitless. I have decided that the only really viable way to get information similar to what Connectify gave my friend is to set up a DHCP server a network being hosted by airport. This way, I would be able to look at the logs of the server and see the Net Name and MAC address of the user connecting - the only problem is, I don't know how to do it.

Basically, I am looking for something like an alternative to this, but for mac --> Your Hotspot, Your Way - Connectify - kind of like how you can see the connected users and their net names through airport utility when working with an airport extreme.

I know how to do this with a router - just look at the dhcp lists, but I don't want to have to carry around a router with me to every convention I go to. ;)

Any help [applications, dhcp servers, programming languages that support this, suggestions] would be appreciated, in case the need to find a hijacker arises in the future. Thank you!

Also: Hosting networks on a mac is currently limited to an ad-hoc type connection, but I was wondering if there was a way that I could also set up a honeypot with an Infrastructure type.
Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I don't know how AR Drones work but it seems there may be security measures to proactively take to manage hijacking.

You can use KisMAC to view connected nodes on a WIFI network

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. Although this does help me see the wireless card manufacturer and MAC address, it lacks the crucial bit of information that I need - the Net name (or DHCP client ID, whatever you want to call it). If I could encrypt the drone's network, that would help immensely, but, unfortunately, parrot did not implement it in version 1.0. What's nice about KisMAC is that I can see all the wireless users communicating with a network, regardless of whether or not it's mine. That does help, but it is incredibly hard to track down the hijacker without a Net name.

In theory, as long as the hijacker is transmitting data with the drone, I would be able just to scan with a directional antenna of where it's coming from; and then be even more precise by identifying who uses whatever manufacturer wireless card that showed up on KisMAC. It would just save a lot of time and effort to track the person down just by knowing their net name.

Reaction score
Try using wireshark. You'll need to load X11 for it to work

OP
M
Reaction score
Wireshark possible, but Fing?

I have had experience using Wireshark, but I have no idea how to get the net name of a client with it. Possibly it could be in a handshake packet? Also, I recently found out about a program called Fing. I have the Android version, and that lets you see the connected user's net name, but I haven't had the chance to install it yet on my computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.