Time capsule

Reaction score
Help!!..I bought a time capsule with the intent to use the airport side of it and the storage backup...BUT, I have since moved and will not be getting a ISP to fit a wall port to plug into the internet any time soon. I have been using my iphone as my modem for my MacBookPro, and Ipad and this is fine for the amount of downloading I do etc (keeps me mobile and on the run haha)....BUT I have some big photos files and want to get them off my laptop and being a luddite don't know how to connect my Time capsule to just use as a simple external storage....Is it as simple as a USB cable connection plug and play? Is there a way to use the iphone as a modem to transfer files across?? (i hate cables)...any tips would be mucho appreciated!!
ADZ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can either setup the iPhone as a wifi hotspot and connect both the TC and MBP to that. That'll give you a wireless connection to the TC and still maintain your internet connection on your MBP.

Alternatively, you can just connect wired or wirelessly to the TC as you normally would. This will give you facility to copy files but you won't have simultaneous internet.

Not tried this one but you may be able to wirelessly connect your MBP to the TC and have the iPhone connected to the MBP with a the USB cable.

OP
A
Reaction score
You can either setup the iPhone as a wifi hotspot and connect both the TC and MBP to that. That'll give you a wireless connection to the TC and still maintain your internet connection on your MBP.

Alternatively, you can just connect wired or wirelessly to the TC as you normally would. This will give you facility to copy files but you won't have simultaneous internet.

Not tried this one but you may be able to wirelessly connect your MBP to the TC and have the iPhone connected to the MBP with a the USB cable.

Thanks MrPlow...but this isn't working. The airport on MBP can't find the TC..I cant seem to connect TC wirelessly to iphone. Have tried plugging iphone into TC via USB..nada, have tried a ethernet cable from TC to MBP..nada. The only thing I haven't tried is USB from TC to USB on MBP which may work as just a dumb external HD??, which I would be happy with for now...Off to JB HiFi to get a usb to usb if there is such a thing??..or would USB to thunderbolt work??...again if lil old Australia has them yet??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I know this is frustrating but just saying 'nada' rather than letting me know what's happening isn't helping me understand what's going on. Any error messages? What did you try? Etc

You can forget any connection to the USB port of the time capsule. It's for connecting printers and hard disks, nothing else.

You say the airport on the MBP can't find the Time Capsule. When you run Airport Utility does the Time Capsule show up? Try wireless and Ethernet connection.
If the TC is powered up and not appearing in the Airport Utility on your Mac you may need to reset it.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3728

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.