How to set up College Email Account on the iPad

Reaction score
Hello. I am having trouble linking my college email to my iPad. I was easily able to link the Mail application on my MacBook to my iCloud, Gmail, and College email account. But on my iPad, it is not as easy.
The problem arises when I click on Settings on my iPad and then click on "Mail, Contacts, Calendars." I click "Add Account" at the top of the page and then click "other" under the account types because this is a college email system and not the standard Gmail, Yahoo, or AOL account. Then I click add email account again put in my name, the college email address, my password, and the description if the email.
All of that works but then Apple wants me to write down what the host name and username are for the "incoming mail server." I have no idea what that is. Under Host Name, there is faded text that reads "mail.example.com" I thought that maybe I had to but in "mit.edu" because that is what my email ends with but that does not work. Can someone please help in linking my accoutns by telling me what I am supposed to write for the "incoming mail server" and "outgoing mail server"?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums!

Can someone please help in linking my accoutns by telling me what I am supposed to write for the "incoming mail server" and "outgoing mail server"?

Contact your university IT folks and ask them for that information. They would know and can assist you in placing the correct server address in the settings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.