What's wrong with the home page...

Reaction score
Whenever I surf to Mac-Forums and go to the homepage, I hear some kind of awful music, or what sounds like a really cheap commercial.

What's happening, is this because I'm not a what do we call them... VIP or premium member?

Ibanezi.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The commercial free skin is only available to our Premium Members if that's what you're referring to. Thanks for your feedback.

OP
Sur3Mac
Reaction score
I realize that, and I have no problem with the visuals, but were hardly talking about a 'skin' are we, this is downright intrusive, I almost had my eardrums pop.

Ibanezi

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Interesting that you're the second person to report something like this, I think we will have the admins investigate..

I just fired up Firefox that I never used with Mac-Forums and it didn't happen to me..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Neither to me logging on as a new member. As a matter of fact, I have never heard music on our site.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for reporting it. We'll forward the info on to our iNet contact to see if he has any insight as to what's going on.

OP
Sur3Mac
Reaction score
Nice, thanks... will we get an update on this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. I reported it about 15 minutes ago to our iNet contact. He may decide to respond directly to this thread or I will pass on to our members what he found out. It may take a while to get a response as our iNet folks are busy with other forums and business.

I.M.O.G.

Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe Mac's are meant to be admired, not owned
I haven't tracked down yet what is up, but if there is an ad on the homepage that is playing sound, let us know which one. I will check if we can find it otherwise, but its easiest to track down if you can reproduce it. Thanks for the heads up.

By the way, this isn't intended behavior to my knowledge. I cant stand ads that yell at you when you land on a page.

OP
Sur3Mac
Reaction score
That's the thing, I have been looking for that ad, but couldn't find out which was the one making the sound.
I have checked if I had more than one tab open, which I didn't...
I had no applications opened, just safari.
And closing that one window, killed the sound.

Ibanezi

I.M.O.G.

Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe Mac's are meant to be admired, not owned
Weird. There isn't much to go on here, so I am not sure what I will come back with, but I will check into it anyways and post back. No toolbars installed on safari?

OP
Sur3Mac
Reaction score
I realize I'm not giving you enough to go on, but I can't give you what I don't have :-D
And I have no toolbars installed or whatsoever...

I will monitor the problem myself, and keep you posted of course.
I appreciate the help, thank you.

Ibanezi

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You say it starts at the home page (I assume, Mac-Forums.com, not Mac-Forums.com/forums). Does it then follow you once you navigate to another page within Mac-Forums.com?

I have to believe it's an ad, but with all the refreshes I've done, I haven't been able to reproduce it... but I do see that the ads tend to cycle with each refresh - so it must be one of the ads in the rotation. If that's true, it should be dismissible by either refreshing the page or going to a different section. Is that the case - or does it hang on until you kill the tab?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.