Moving iTunes from PC to Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" mid 2012 16 gb ram
There has got to be a sticky on this topic. But I can't find anything on a quick search.

I have about 60 GB or more of iTunes content on my Windows 7 PC and after two plus weeks w/ my Mac Mini, its time to move it over. I would have done it sooner, except that all the Google searches mention consolidating the library on the PC first. I am pretty certain I have NOT consolidated the iTunes library on my PC. I am hesitant to do simply because I know where everything is already.

First, if I do need to consolidate first, I'd like to archive my PC library in its current state. But I don't know if there are any settings outside of the iTunes folder itself, that need to be saved.

I recall moving my iTunes library, a couple years ago, from Windows XP to Windows 7. That wasn't very hard, because it was simply a matter to different folder locations between the two Windows versions. I was hoping it would be that easy copying the library to the Mac, that is a common root folder. Perhaps its not as simple as a folder by folder and file by file copy.

One last thing, is I have three iOS devices syncing to iTunes on the PC. And two of those devices are currently in use and the third I'd like to sell. I am hoping my iOS devices will still sync seamlessly from the Mac. This is the MOST important part of transferring to me. It is critical my iPad and iPhone stay in sync after iTunes is transfered.

Let me know.

Steve

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This MacWorld Magazine article has the step by step to move your iTunes library from the PC to your Mac: LINK

Your iOS devices will continue to sync once you have everything moved over to the Mac. Good advice is to backup those devices first before you sync them just in case something goes wrong.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.