New member introduction

A

amigadave

Hello fellow Mac users, I converted a few years ago by purchasing the last of the line of Titanium Powerbooks - 1gHz DVI model and have been very happy that I did. My two sisters have been using Macs for years before that, but I was reluctant to spend the high dollars before, but now realize that quality products and OS are worth the price of admission. As you might guess from my user name, I am a long time Amiga owner and user. In fact I still use my collection of antiques almost daily and add to the collection almost monthly and sometimes weekly. Old habits die hard and for those of you that have never seen or experienced an Amiga, it was truly ahead of its time and a wonderful platform to learn about computers on in the mid to late 80's.

My Powerbook is currently down for repairs (display inverter board should be on its way to me in the next few days, first replacement only lasted a week before going bad again).

I talked my brothers and sisters into buying my 78 year old Mom an iBook for Christmas and the older sister is trying to get all of us to buy webcams so we can virtually visit each other "Online". This leads me to a question. I have an old Intel CS330 Create and Share PC USB 2.0 camera that I am wondering if I can somehow set up for my Mom to use with her iBook. Intel no longer supplies any support for such an old product and there are no Mac drivers for this webcam. Do any of you think it would harm the camera or the iBook to try it and see if the Tiger OS can recognise and use it?

Being a relative newcomer to the world of Macs, I am sure I will have many other questions in the future. Thanks in advance for any advice or answers.

:mac:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hello and welcome to Mac Forums. If you ever need any help, someone here will be glad to help you.

I am also an Amiga person. I don't mess with them all the time, but still use them when I have time. I have an Amiga 500 and 3000.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Hey, welcome to the forums. i don't know much about the intel camera or if it will work with the ibook but welcome to the forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
i could be wrong but i thought i chat only supported firewire web cams??I have tried searching to fing where i have read this but to no avail...

I would suggest waiting for your PB to come back and test on that to confirm either way..

OP
U

UncSki1218

there is some software...ichat usb or something (search on google) that supports usb cams for ichat. check, but i dont think it will take cams that old.

OP
L

lil

Used to quite often dabble with Amigas, although by the time I got one in 1995 the Mac was up to speed. At one point I think I had an A500 Plus, A600, 3 A1200s, an A3000UX and an A4000...

:S

Is it any wonder I sold them all some 5-6 years ago now...

That said, I am definitely a Mac person :flower:

OP
A

amigadave

lil said:
Used to quite often dabble with Amigas, although by the time I got one in 1995 the Mac was up to speed. At one point I think I had an A500 Plus, A600, 3 A1200s, an A3000UX and an A4000...

:S

Is it any wonder I sold them all some 5-6 years ago now...

That said, I am definitely a Mac person :flower:

Well since I still own about 18 Amigas (including the 8 working hard in my video studio), I guess I will have to settle for the title of Mac using Amigan for a while longer.

Mac is definitly the best available today. I am a little concerned what the Mactels will be like though. I guess we will all see very soon now, when the first Intel Inside Macs hit the shelves.

:p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.