Anyone having issues with Photobucket and maybe Adobe Flash?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
i'm not a recent switcher but didn't know where to ask this. It seems that lately, about every 2nd or 3rd day I need to update Adobe Flash. Is that normal? Is the program so bad that they are fixing it 2-3 times a week or is there something in my preferences that doesn't know Flash is installed?

Perhaps linked to that is a problem I'm having with Photobucket. I can login to my account, see all my old pictures, but when I try to upload from my iMac... I can't get to the 2nd upload screen where you pick your images on your computer. I _can_ upload pictures vial my iPhone Photobucket App, but even thats weird because I can't select which album the pictures go to... so I have to find them after I upload.

My iMac 24" has a 2.8GHz cpu, 6GB Ram, 120 Gigs of free space on the HDD, and yet it seems to be running a little slower than in the past, and I'm concerned about upgrading the OS as it does seem like many have had issues.

Mike

C

chas_m

Yes, Adobe Flash has needed to be upgraded a lot lately. Reducing your dependence on it would be a good move.

As it happens I have an old Photobucket account I'd long since forgotten about, so I logged in and did not have any trouble uploading a couple of photos using the web browser. There's also a bulk uploader page that I didn't try. Not sure what could be stopping you there.

Once logged in, I'm taken to my default album, with a green "upload" button at the top. Pressing that gives me this:

Pressing the large green "Select photos and videos" button opens a Mac dialog box where I can select the photo I want to use.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like Chas said, Adobe Flash is frequently being updated. Flash has many issues that need fixing. I try and avoid it when I can.

OP
drgrafix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, Adobe Flash has needed to be upgraded a lot lately. Reducing your dependence on it would be a good move.

As it happens I have an old Photobucket account I'd long since forgotten about, so I logged in and did not have any trouble uploading a couple of photos using the web browser. There's also a bulk uploader page that I didn't try. Not sure what could be stopping you there.

Once logged in, I'm taken to my default album, with a green "upload" button at the top. Pressing that gives me this:

Pressing the large green "Select photos and videos" button opens a Mac dialog box where I can select the photo I want to use.

I'd like to know how I reduce my dependence on something like Flash LOL? Are you being asked to update Flash almost every other day?

I get the same window but now the green button is missing. I can only upload via my iPhone into my account.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Flash isn't updated daily so if you're getting prompts to update daily to newer versions, then something is wrong.

You can't just reduce your dependence on Flash since some sites don't offer non-Flash based alternatives. Reducing the dependence on it would require you to find services that don't use it or provide non-Flash based alternatives.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed but I have seen the updates come out sometimes every week or two. My one PC Laptop has had at least 2 in the last month.

If you watch You Tube you can switch to HTML5 and not use Flash. With other sites that is not possible. It's amazing just how low my CPU usage is with You Tubes HTML5 trial.

OP
drgrafix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not a big YouTube user. I use Photobucket a lot more than YT. Is there any way to diagnose the issue?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
PB seems to make use of Flash to do photo uploads while providing no alternative. If the issue is indeed Flash, you're out of luck until someone fixes it. Make sure your version of Flash is up to date. You may also want to try another browser (although Flash should work the same regardless of the browser, you never know what could happen).

OP
drgrafix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB seems to make use of Flash to do photo uploads while providing no alternative. If the issue is indeed Flash, you're out of luck until someone fixes it. Make sure your version of Flash is up to date. You may also want to try another browser (although Flash should work the same regardless of the browser, you never know what could happen).

It must be Flash because I just opened an alternate account on another computer using a different name. Tried to upload a picture and I get the same screen:

PBscreenshot.jpg

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In that instance, Flash is being blocked by ClickToFlash. If you click the box, the Flash plugin should load and you should be good to go.

C

chas_m

Yes, the problem there as Dr. Zoidberg -- I mean, Van -- noted is that you've installed a Flash blocker. Disable it and PB should work as it does for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.