Water on macbook pro

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've had my macbook pro for about a year and spilled a little bit of water on the keyboard today (stupid mistake, I know) Well I flipped it upside down immediately and then dried it off. There wasn't even enough liquid to make the cloth more than even slightly damp, it honestly felt dry. My computer didn't shut off or do anything weird at all. I shut it down and that worked fine, then I flipped it upside down for like an hour and then proceeded to dry it with a hair dryer (I did it the right way, not directly into keys or anything) and then I turned it back on and everything is working 100% fine. I really think I flipped it quick enough that the water couldn't go into the keys deep enough to hurt anything. My dad said it's probably fine, I just wanted to make sure. My real question is, will anything happen to it later, or will it stay fine? I really don't want to wake up to a wrecked computer or anything. I've been using it since I turned it back on and I think it's fine, the charger worked without a problem. Thank you soo much for any answers, I really appreciate it!

OP
K
Reaction score
If anyone could just give me a quick opinion on if you think it'll be fine since it's been fine thus far I'd really appreciate it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 imac, 2011 13" mbp, Ipad mini, Ipad air
It's just impossible to say. Some water damage can take a long time to show. You might be one of the lucky few but if it were mine I would make sure I kept my backups current.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thank you :) I don't honestly have anything too important on my computer, I'm only in high school but I'll go back it up just in case. Thank you again

OP
K
Reaction score
Computer is still working 100% fine. Even runs a little faster since I had not turned it off in a while. Could I have avoided the damage completely?

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I spilled some water on my computer (very small amount) flipped it over immediately, dried it and shut it off (the rag was hardly even damp to be honest, it was that little water). I let it dry for about an hour upside down and then used a blow dryer on it. It didn't turn itself off or anything, and it seems to be working 100% fine, honestly it's running better since I haven't turned it off in a while. Absolutely nothing is wrong that I can tell/hear/see. Could I have avoided water damage completely? Or can it take a while to show?? I've heard that water damage can take a long time to show so I just wanted to ask. Any answers are really appreciated, thank you! :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Kenzie:

Do not cross post or double post. You've already started one thread about water on your MBP, no need to start another. I've merged your posts together here.

OP
K
Reaction score
oh thank you, sorry about that! I thought I put the first post in the wrong place so I made another one where I thought I should have made the first, but thank you again and sorry about that

OP
K
Reaction score
New question: I have applecare and everything, if I brought it into the apple store would they check for water damage for free?

C

chas_m

You'd have to call and ask, but I'd recommend that you don't. If they find any, your warranty is totally void. If they don't, you've told them you spilled water on it so your warranty is totally void.

If you were extremely lucky and no water damage was done, you've just voided your warranty for nothing. If the machine is working fine, leave it alone. If it was ONLY water (not juice, soda, coffee, etc) and it didn't get to the components, than any residual moisture will dissipate on its own. You might have a future problem that has NOTHING to do with this incident and then have no warranty to fall back on because you voided your warranty needlessly.

If you have later problems that are due to water damage, the Apple people will know and that will be bad. But if you don't really have any damage from the water, don't void your warranty prematurely.

OP
K
Reaction score
Alright thank you and I'm glad you let me know that, I thought it would only be void if damage was found, so I'm not going to tell them haha. Everything is really working fine, I think I just freaked out because it's my school computer and I need it for everything. It isn't having any problems at all and I've turned it off and back on and it's been totally fine, I guess I was just lucky. Thank you again!

C

chas_m

Tip: keep drinks at least six feet away from the computer (this I guess you've figured out now :) )

Also, buy a little riser (laptop platform) that raises the back of the notebook up. This not only improves air flow which keeps it cooler, but also protects against nearby spills so you have time to get the machine out of harm's way.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yeah I had figured the drink one out haha but I didn't know about the riser, that sounds like a really good plan, thank you! and I left the computer on all night and it's working great, nothings different at all actually. I'll be more careful because I doubt I will get this lucky again. Thank you for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.