• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Are my videos lost?

Reaction score
I have an IMac which I am still learning to use. Prior to that, I had a Dell PC. When I used my camera for videos with my PC, they automatically downloaded along with my pictures. I learned that's not the case with my Mac. I had some videos that were very important to me. I downloaded pictures into iphoto thinking my videos downloaded as well. Then on my Sony camera, I decided to delete everything from my memory card. I realized almost immediately that I had made a mistake and although my pictures were there in iphoto, my videos were gone. I even took my memory card to a professional at a computer shop to see if he could recover the videos, but no luck. I'm just wondering if by any chance if someone would know if when I downloaded to iphoto, but some miracle, the videos did download someplace? Is this even possible or are they lost forever? Thank you to anyone who may be able to answer my question. I could kick myself for being so stupid or not at least checking to make sure my videos downloaded before deleting them from my memory card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 7,1 13" 2.66 C2D; BlackMB 1,1 13" 2.0 coreduo
If I remember correctly there should/might be an iPhoto video tab. Check there.

Also, I don't delete media from memory cards until after I've already backed up the files via Time Machine or I'm certain they're where I need them to be.

OP
D
Reaction score
Stupidly, I did not back anything up before deleting from my memory card. I checked IMovie and they didn't download there. Also I just checked IPhoto and can't find a video tab. Also did a search for movies/videos and I just don't see where they ever downloaded onto my computer. I was really hoping that when I opened IPhoto and downloaded from my memory card that along with the pictures, I would find my video somewhere. Thank you for the suggestions, but I just don't see a video tab.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What camera is this? I have an HP and a nice Canon. When I plug them in, iPhoto opens and gives me a list of photos to import. The Videos are always there and always show up right in iPhoto. Are you checking carefully? They usually have a small video icon next to the video ones. It's always done that for me.

Info on your camera and which version of OSX?

OP
D
Reaction score
I believe I have OX 10.6.8. My camera is a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX100V. What I noticed recently after using my much older Kodak digital is that I downloaded my pictures onto IPhoto and it included one video. I was surprised to see that that video did download into IPhoto and it did show the camera icon. When you mentioned it, Dennis, I did go back and check on IPhoto, and my video from the old Kodak was there. For some reason it doesn't show videos from my Sony (purchased about a year ago and a much better camera). If it did, I would feel a whole lot better knowing my videos weren't gone. I spent quite a while last night checking files, everything I could think of hoping they were saved somewhere, but no luck. Thank you so much for your suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
In the future...Maybe it would be easier ( and less confusing ) to just insert the SD card into a reader and manually ( as in select all ) importing photos into iPhoto and manually ( select all ) movies into a separate folder...Then you have a chance to really see the files as they are separated...FWIW...I never let anything import automatically...I like to give a quick review of the files before they are imported..I also use a reader everytime instead of USB cables...

Also...unless data has been written over the deleted files...they should be recoverable..to an extent..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.