Two Firefox Icons in Launchpad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac, High Sierra, 32 GB Memory
When my Firefox did an update, it created another icon in Launchpad. Now it has one for the current version and still has the icon for the old version. My Applications Folder only shows one Firefox program, the newer one.

How can I get rid of the icon for the older version of Firefox? I tried dragging it to Trash, but that doesn't work.

BTW, this is my first iMac and love how it "just works." Got tired of fighting with Windows.

Thanks

Dave in Georgia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
If you're in Launchpad view then you have to click and hold on the icon.

The icons will start wiggling and you can click the little "x" next to the icon to remove it.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried that and there is not an "X" to remove the icon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whoops! I'm sorry. The "X" will only appear on item purchased in the Mac App Store. Momentary brain lapse there.

The launchpad will only display items currently installed on your machine so that's strange that you didn't see the old version in the applications folder. Is there a Mozilla sub folder in the applications folder? You can also try running a spotlight search on "firefox" and see if it returns with more than one.

You can also launch both versions then control click on the dock icons and select "reveal in finder" and it will show you where it installed at.

Edit - after looking it up, supposedly you can drag the firefox icon that is appearing in the applications folder (not launchpad) to the trash, then open the trash folder, control click the firefox icon and select "put back". Close the finder and open launchpad and you should have only one icon. Let me know if that works.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Edit - after looking it up, supposedly you can drag the firefox icon that is appearing in the applications folder (not launchpad) to the trash, then open the trash folder, control click the firefox icon and select "put back". Close the finder and open launchpad and you should have only one icon. Let me know if that works.

That didn't work, but a variation of that did work. I dragged the icon from the App folder to the trash. That left one icon left on Launchpad. I dragged the remaining icon from Launchpad to the trash. Then opened the Trash folder, where it only showed one icon for Firefox. Selected Put Back and that fixed it. Only one icon now in Launchpad for Firefox.

Thanks for giving me the idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got it worked out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.