Macbook Pro charger only charges when Laptop is shut down.

Reaction score
My Macbook Pro will only charge when the laptop is turned off. The charger is a 85w replacement charger and the orange light comes on when the laptop is turned off but as soon as I turn it on the green light comes on and where the battery percentage should be, it says "not charging". i've tested the battery on another macbook and it works no problem. I also tested someone else's macbook charger on my laptop and it works fine. Could someone please help me with this problem?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Apparently the charger is not providing enough juice to both run the notebook and charge it. Either send back the charger or replace the replacement. Personally, I'd head to OWC for a replacement. If the one you have is still under warranty, get them to replace it.

OP
N
Reaction score
thanks for replying. Just a quick query, I was wondering why it powers another macbook when it is switched on but not mine? would i be right in guessing that it can power the old macbook but not my macbook pro as its a newer model?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
thanks for replying. Just a quick query, I was wondering why it powers another macbook when it is switched on but not mine? would i be right in guessing that it can power the old macbook but not my macbook pro as its a newer model?

Maybe you could give us some battery info on the MacBook Pro with the problems.

1. Number of battery cycles.
2. If you click on the battery icon in the menu bar…does it say anything like "Service Soon", "Replace Soon", etc.?

If everything is fine with the battery. Then (as you mentioned above)…you tried someone else's charger on this MacBook Pro (and it worked fine)…then I'm thinking the same thing as "bobtomay"…the charger you're having problems with is probably defective in some way.

Another idea (depending on your location)…you could take your computer & charger to the Apple Store…and have them look at things.

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The MacBooks only took (I think) 65 watt chargers vs the 85 watt chargers for the MBP.

Do check the battery as suggested by Nick above also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.